Old 11-06-2004, 12:31 AM
James Fidell

Default McCulloch Strimmer Line

In article m, Frank P wrote:
[Note crossposted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening]

I have an old 28cc McCulloch Strimmer (without brushcutter attachment)
and I'm getting really tired of having to replace the line, and the
'bump feed' has never worked since day one so I'm forever having to
stop to feed out more line from the spool.

Any ideas why the bump-feed doesn't work? I replaced the line in mine
a few days about and found that if the line isn't in correctly, it
can foul the mechanism and stop the bump-feed working. There's very
little to actually go wrong otherwise.

Useful ideas about replacement line from other people though. I have
a *lot* of weeds and long grass to strim at the moment and whilst the
normal line isn't really up to the job, the brush-cutter isn't quite the
right tool either.

James
Old 11-06-2004, 12:40 AM
Andy Minter

On Thu, 20 May 2004 00:51:47 GMT, Frank P wrote:

[Note crossposted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening]

I have an old 28cc McCulloch Strimmer (without brushcutter attachment)
and I'm getting really tired of having to replace the line, and the
'bump feed' has never worked since day one so I'm forever having to
stop to feed out more line from the spool.

So, what's to stop me (other than for safety reasons) from replacing
the plastic line with say, stout steel wire?

Pros & Cons?

It may pay to experoment with different line thicknesses. When I
bought my Stihl strimmer it was fitted with the thickest available
line (brown) and the line broke very quickly. As I already had a bulk
reel of the next thickness down (yellow) I started to use that and
found it lasted much longer. It may of course have been that the brown
line was old and had become brittle though.

So far as the bump start is concerned, it pays not to put too much
line on the reel, otherwise it's difficult to wind it smoothly. I
reckon on about six feet.

--
Andy Minter

Old 2 stroke mcculloch strimmer Whiteshepherd86 Gardening 2 23-01-2017 10:20 PM
Strimmer advice needed. (was How to rewind line on to strimmer head?) Adam Lipscombe United Kingdom 2 22-05-2008 02:22 PM
problems with McCulloch strimmer Alan Lever Gardening 0 13-07-2005 07:58 PM
McCulloch Trimmac 210 Petrol Strimmer BIGEYE United Kingdom 1 22-08-2004 01:22 PM
problems with McCulloch strimmer Strimmer noob United Kingdom 7 01-06-2004 10:15 PM