Old 20-05-2004, 12:06 PM
David Gibson

Default Reseeding Patchy Lawn - Advice Needed

Hi,

After scarifying my lawn what sort of compost should I spread on it
prior to reseeding the patchy areas.

Should it be loam based, peat based or loam free or peat free.

Regards

Old 20-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Cumberpach

"David Gibson" wrote in message
Hi,

After scarifying my lawn what sort of compost should I spread on it
prior to reseeding the patchy areas.

Should it be loam based, peat based or loam free or peat free.

Regards

There was a 'garden makeover' prog on the box yesterday, I missed the
beginning. The presenter demonstrated re-seeding but did not say what type
of compost used. I would avoid peat based as this tends to dry out fast.

Pete

Old 20-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Tumbleweed

"Cumberpach" wrote in message

"David Gibson" wrote in message
Hi,

After scarifying my lawn what sort of compost should I spread on it
prior to reseeding the patchy areas.

Should it be loam based, peat based or loam free or peat free.

Regards

There was a 'garden makeover' prog on the box yesterday, I missed the
beginning. The presenter demonstrated re-seeding but did not say what type
of compost used. I would avoid peat based as this tends to dry out fast.

Pete

Loam (coincidentally this was mentioned on the 'City gardener' ?last night?
(watched it tonight but can't recall when it was recorded might have been
yesterday, but he definitely said loam.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 21-05-2004, 11:06 AM
David Gibson

Thanks for the info, I also saw a bit of the program on TV but missed
what sort of compost he said. Loam it is then.

Regards

Old 21-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Tumbleweed

p.s covering the patches with plastic makes a tremendous difference to the
germination rate and speed (in a positive way :-)

Old 21-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Cumberpach

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
.. .

"Cumberpach" wrote in message

"David Gibson" wrote in message
Hi,

After scarifying my lawn what sort of compost should I spread on it
prior to reseeding the patchy areas.

Should it be loam based, peat based or loam free or peat free.

Regards

There was a 'garden makeover' prog on the box yesterday, I missed the
beginning. The presenter demonstrated re-seeding but did not say what

type
of compost used. I would avoid peat based as this tends to dry out fast.

Pete

Loam (coincidentally this was mentioned on the 'City gardener' ?last

night?
(watched it tonight but can't recall when it was recorded might have been
yesterday, but he definitely said loam.

--

Don't know if it was the same prog, the location was Brighton and the garden
was themed around three circular lawns, each encased in a steel strap, plus

Pete

Old 22-05-2004, 09:04 AM
martin

On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:23:00 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

p.s covering the patches with plastic makes a tremendous difference to the
germination rate and speed (in a positive way :-)

and the number of seeds eaten by birds :-)

Covering with fleece works well too.
Old 23-05-2004, 03:06 PM
David Gibson

Hi Tumbleweed,

Thanks for the suggestion about the plastic. I have covered the worst
areas with clearish plastic sheeting. Could you tell me if I need to
remove it now ang again to let the grass get some fresh air (say once
a day for a couple of hours) or can I simply leave it down constantly
until the seed has germinated & rooted.

As I have not done this before I do not know if the constant blanket
of the plastic sheet will affect the existing healthy grass under the
sheeting.

Lastly, how many days would you suggest that I leave the plastic down
for.

Regards
Dave Gibson

Old 24-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Tumbleweed

"David Gibson" wrote in message
Hi Tumbleweed,

Thanks for the suggestion about the plastic. I have covered the worst
areas with clearish plastic sheeting. Could you tell me if I need to
remove it now ang again to let the grass get some fresh air (say once
a day for a couple of hours) or can I simply leave it down constantly
until the seed has germinated & rooted.

As I have not done this before I do not know if the constant blanket
of the plastic sheet will affect the existing healthy grass under the
sheeting.

Not IME, no ill efects on the existing grass (its only on for a week or so)

Lastly, how many days would you suggest that I leave the plastic down
for.

Regards
Dave Gibson

With this weather, I'd say it will have sprouted in about a week, at which
time you can take it off and water if its dry. FWIW I didnt use clear
plastic, I used cut open compost bags, pretty thick stuff, just about
lightproof.
I think the high humidity and higher temp under the cover takes about a week
off germination time.

Let us know what happens.

Patchy Lawn carlos1981 Lawns 0 13-04-2009 04:12 PM
Patchy and weedy lawn Glen Lawns 0 02-04-2007 11:15 PM
Patchy Germination on Reseeded Lawn -- Wait or Panic? BluesCat Lawns 3 18-10-2005 04:20 PM
seeded lawn rather patchy weed Lawns 7 01-06-2005 06:16 PM
patchy Lawn David Lawns 1 17-03-2005 10:23 AM