Old 20-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Sue

Default I think I'm becoming a gardener!

What gives me this idea? Well I've dug up a very old rose root, dug out a 3
foot oak sapling and I'm winning the battle of the dandelions but these are
not the biggest clues. I went out in the garden after the rain stopped and
walked carefully round loads of slugs and snails. I then thought about it,
went back and put on my wellies and walked back equally carefully not round
them talking to myself to disguise the noise! I feel guilty but keep telling
myself that it's quicker for them than pellets!

Sue

Old 20-05-2004, 10:09 PM
shazzbat

"Sue" wrote in message
What gives me this idea? Well I've dug up a very old rose root, dug out a

3
foot oak sapling and I'm winning the battle of the dandelions but these

are
not the biggest clues. I went out in the garden after the rain stopped and
walked carefully round loads of slugs and snails. I then thought about it,
went back and put on my wellies and walked back equally carefully not

round
them talking to myself to disguise the noise! I feel guilty but keep

telling
myself that it's quicker for them than pellets!

You're a gardener, no question about it. Welcome aboard.

Just one flaw in your reasoning. You will never win the battle of the
dandelions, or the slugs/snails come to think of it. However there is no
reason you shouldn't enjoy yourself trying. Don't feel guilty, there'll be
plenty more. And not using pellets is also frog friendly.

Steve
http://mysite.freeserve.com/steveandmaggiesplot

Old 20-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Jabba

"Sue" wrote in message
What gives me this idea? Well I've dug up a very old rose root, dug out a

3
foot oak sapling and I'm winning the battle of the dandelions but these

are
not the biggest clues. I went out in the garden after the rain stopped and
walked carefully round loads of slugs and snails. I then thought about it,
went back and put on my wellies and walked back equally carefully not

round
them talking to myself to disguise the noise! I feel guilty but keep

telling
myself that it's quicker for them than pellets!

Don't worry I think it has happened to me aswell. Only had a garden of my
own for two years, but I think I've started to turn into my Dad. Isn't
getting old great ;-)

p.s. I must go slug hunting soon, before the little devils eat my emerging
bulbs.

Sue

Old 20-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Sue

You're a gardener, no question about it. Welcome aboard.

Just one flaw in your reasoning. You will never win the battle of the
dandelions, or the slugs/snails come to think of it. However there is no
reason you shouldn't enjoy yourself trying. Don't feel guilty, there'll be
plenty more. And not using pellets is also frog friendly.

Goody, I've got them too. Will they eat the slugs?

Sue

Old 20-05-2004, 11:19 PM
shazzbat

You're a gardener, no question about it. Welcome aboard.

Just one flaw in your reasoning. You will never win the battle of the
dandelions, or the slugs/snails come to think of it. However there is no
reason you shouldn't enjoy yourself trying. Don't feel guilty, there'll

be
plenty more. And not using pellets is also frog friendly.

Goody, I've got them too. Will they eat the slugs?

Yes, slugs are their favourite. They won't eat all of them, but you can't
have everything. Pellets poison the slugs, and then if frogs eat the slugs,
they get poisoned too :-((

Rough guide to what's in the garden - Slow is bad
(slugs/snails/caterpillars), fast is good. (beetles/spiders etc)

Steve

Old 21-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Jabba

"shazzbat" wrote in message

You're a gardener, no question about it. Welcome aboard.

Just one flaw in your reasoning. You will never win the battle of the
dandelions, or the slugs/snails come to think of it. However there is

no
reason you shouldn't enjoy yourself trying. Don't feel guilty,

there'll
be
plenty more. And not using pellets is also frog friendly.

Goody, I've got them too. Will they eat the slugs?

Yes, slugs are their favourite. They won't eat all of them, but you can't
have everything. Pellets poison the slugs, and then if frogs eat the

slugs,
they get poisoned too :-((

Rough guide to what's in the garden - Slow is bad
(slugs/snails/caterpillars), fast is good. (beetles/spiders etc)

Not sure I agree with this, as it would put me the bad catergory.

Steve

Old 21-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , shazzbat shazzbat@spamle
ssness.fsnet.co.uk writes
Just one flaw in your reasoning. You will never win the battle of the
dandelions, or the slugs/snails

.. . . . the age old problem (( This is an extract from a book by
Jeffery Farnol, written in 1933 or thereabouts -

.. . . . . . to the vigorous nurture of such right succulent edibles as
peas, beans, parsnips, onions, carrots, potatoes and what he termed
'sallet raffle'.
The coxswain gardened, fair or foul, spade, fork, rake and hoe,
like a true seaman, A.B., that is to say - with a will and cheerily-o!
and in despite of the piratical depredations of such slimy and stealthy
foes as slugs, snails, wire-worms, grubs and the like foes, against whom
he waged desperate and unceasing warfare with soot, with salt and any or
every lethal weapon as came readiest to hand, more especially a certain
stick armed with a long, sharp spike that he dubbed his 'belaying pin'.
Such earnest, nay indeed such passionate gardener was the
coxswain that on moonless nights, when all save trouble and wickedness
slept, he was wont to steal forth armed with dark lantern and the
belaying pin and thus cut out, capture or destroy these creeping foes at
their fiendly work by what he described as 'the Element of Surprise.'
But even this afternoon a slug more reckless than his fellows
and venturing abroad scornful of danger, was espied by the ever-watchful
coxswain, who instantly bore down to bring this audacious foe to close
action; in other words, Benjamin Piper, A.B., was stalking this
destroyer with elaborate caution, his feet were soundless, his one eye
gleamed, the spade gripped in knotted hands was lifted slowly for
exterminating stroke when . . . . . . . . .

Oh, I do love the way Jeffery Farnol describes things ))))))))
I think slugs and snails have *ever* been a problem to the hoticulturist
and always will be (((((

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 21-05-2004, 03:12 PM
shazzbat

"Jabba" wrote in message
news0irc.1069$Nh3.572@newsfe6-win...

"shazzbat" wrote in message

[...]

There are exceptions to every rule, and this rule is no exception :-))

Steve

Old 21-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Ophelia

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
[...]

LOL wonderful stuff)

Ophelia

Old 23-05-2004, 07:52 AM
Douglas

Old 23-05-2004, 07:56 AM
Jabba

****************************
[...]

I also have a pond but make a point of not drinking to much when I'm near it
;-)

How on earth did you manage to fall in three times (I'm reminded of
something that Oscar Wilde said.)

Old 23-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Douglas

Old 23-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Jabba

"Douglas" wrote in message

Old 25-05-2004, 12:16 AM
Jeff Taylor

In article , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(Douglas) wrote:

I don't have slugs or snails any more. I have a small pond which I
have seeded with frogs and toads

Is it really that effective?

I've got a small pond that 'self-seeded' with frogs & toads and have
never had a problem with slugs (numerous Hostas with pristine leaves are
testimony to that!)
However in the last 2 years, we've suddenly become invaded by snails
which are proving a right pain.
I assume frogs & toads can't eat them because of their shells?

Best Wishes,
--
Jeff Taylor