GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Peach leaf curl (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/61883-peach-leaf-curl.html)

[email protected] 21-05-2004 11:30 PM

Peach leaf curl

Hi,

I bought a Peach this year; Peregrine on the recommendation of the
book I read. Unfortunately I did not read the bit about spraying in
Feb to prevent leaf curl and sure enough, it is showing it now.

I have been and bought the recommended spray but is the spray to
prevent it; will it also cure it once it is there? The box talks about
spraying twice a year and repeating after 14 days. What do i do to
cure it: the same dose or more?

What happens to the leaves now? Will they recover after being sprayed
or are they beyond help? Can I expect them to fall and new growth to
replace them?

Thanks.

Karl Grave 22-05-2004 12:19 AM

Peach leaf curl

I have been and bought the recommended spray but is the spray to
prevent it; will it also cure it once it is there?
What happens to the leaves now? Will they recover after being sprayed
or are they beyond help? Can I expect them to fall and new growth to

Forget sprays they don't make a significant difference. Peaches & nectarines
always get curl outdoors and it can be very seriously weakening if allowed
to get out of control.
As soon as the leaves emerge pick of EVERY affected leaf. I know it seems
cruel but the plant is full of vigour in spring and if the leaves are small
you are not removing much leafage in total. Go over the plant at least every
2 days and keep on removing EVERY affected leaf. Soon there will be none and
large healthy leaves will emerge for the summer.
Be vigilant though as PLC will return sporadically & you must remove any
affected leaves AT ONCE. This system works perfectly.
I have tried ignoring it to see if the plant could 'outgrow' the problem or
shake it off. What happens then is the fungus is allowed to reach full
maturity, the red blisters turn white and release their spores everywhere.
PLC then spreads over the entire plant and all the large mature leaves are
affected and the plant severely weakened.

Be cruel to be kind!

Karl

gary davis 06-06-2004 08:05 AM

Peach leaf curl

On 5/21/04 3:11 PM, in article , "Karl
Grave" wrote:

[...]

Karl has an interesting solution that might work, I haven't tried his
solution. I may try it in the future...
I don't have a peach tree now, I gave up on it. However, my belief is
that it must be covered from the rain. I did this a few years ago and the
leaves that were covered did well. The ones that were not covered developed
peach leaf curl. My attempts to keep it covered seemed to work and then
later, when summer had arrived, I removed the cover...plastic...thinking
that it now was safe. Oops! It was not. The peach leaf curl returned with a
vengeance.
The peach trees that I know about (commercial growers) live in a hot dry
area-the Okanogan Valley in the interior of BC, Canada. It is hot there and
any rain evaporates because of the heat.
I think that I could grow a peach tree here in the Vancouver, BC Canada
area (not that hot, except sometimes and lots of rain most of the time) if I
were to keep the tree out of the rain. My suggestion, then, is to keep it
covered from the rain.
I had some delicious peaches off that one tree. A neighbour also
harvested some fine peaches: he showed them to me but his tree looked a
disaster! I was amazed that such a fine peach could actually come from such
a dismal looking tree! He had PLC every year but the tree would keep on
producing fine peaches for, at least, a few years. I wonder what the results
would have been if he had kept the tree covered.
Well, that is my 2 bits worth...excuse me that is a Canadian expression.
Let me try again...Well, that is my two penny's worth! :)
Good luck.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

To reply please remove...yoursocks...

[email protected] 09-06-2004 07:28 PM

Peach leaf curl

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 05:57:59 GMT, gary davis
wrote:

I don't have a peach tree now, I gave up on it. However, my belief is
that it must be covered from the rain. I did this a few years ago and the
leaves that were covered did well. The ones that were not covered developed
peach leaf curl.

That's interesting. The books I have read said that nectarines would
not grow outdoors; only under glass, which is why I bought a peach
instead. Perhaps the only successful way to grow either is under
glass; that would keep the rain off them after all. I assumed the book
recommended under glass for heat, not wet though.

How do you grow a fruit tree under glass? You must need a tall green
house, not the standard 8' one, or do you grow them as a fan and prune
when they near the roof?

gary davis 09-06-2004 07:38 PM

Peach leaf curl

wrote:

I don't have a peach tree now, I gave up on it. However, my belief is
that it must be covered from the rain. I did this a few years ago and the
leaves that were covered did well. The ones that were not covered developed
peach leaf curl.

That's interesting. The books I have read said that nectarines would
not grow outdoors; only under glass, which is why I bought a peach
instead. Perhaps the only successful way to grow either is under
glass; that would keep the rain off them after all. I assumed the book
recommended under glass for heat, not wet though.

Under glass, I guess, means more heat and no rain. I wasn't thinking about
the heat part. I was just trying to keep the rain off and by doing so
automatically increased the temperature! That is pretty obvious now that I
think about it.

How do you grow a fruit tree under glass? You must need a tall green
house, not the standard 8' one, or do you grow them as a fan and prune
when they near the roof?

I know that there are miniature apple trees but not sure if there is a
miniature peach tree. You could enquire at a nursery and if there are
miniature trees exchange for the one you bought. Maybe the one you bought is
a miniature? Good luck.

Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada