GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trees in hanging baskets? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/61985-trees-hanging-baskets.html)

Tumbleweed 23-05-2004 08:20 AM

Trees in hanging baskets?

No I know its not normal, but there is an oak seedling (about 6in high)
growing in one of my hanging baskets (which was planted last Nov). The
nearest oak tree is about 1/2 m away.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Howard Neil 23-05-2004 08:23 AM

Trees in hanging baskets?

Tumbleweed wrote:
No I know its not normal, but there is an oak seedling (about 6in high)
growing in one of my hanging baskets (which was planted last Nov). The
nearest oak tree is about 1/2 m away.

Now might be a good time to start strengthening the hanging basket
bracket. :-)

--
Howard Neil

shazzbat 23-05-2004 08:23 AM

Trees in hanging baskets?

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
No I know its not normal, but there is an oak seedling (about 6in high)
growing in one of my hanging baskets (which was planted last Nov). The
nearest oak tree is about 1/2 m away.

Now might be a good time to start strengthening the hanging basket
bracket. :-)

How are you at building flying buttresses? ;~))

Steve

Brian 23-05-2004 08:25 AM

Trees in hanging baskets?

Tumbleweed wrote:
No I know its not normal, but there is an oak seedling (about 6in

high)
growing in one of my hanging baskets (which was planted last Nov). The
nearest oak tree is about 1/2 m away.

Now might be a good time to start strengthening the hanging basket
bracket. :-)

How are you at building flying buttresses? ;~))

Steve

Weeding a hanging basket with a chainsaw??

Brian

JennyC 23-05-2004 11:05 AM

Trees in hanging baskets?

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
.. .
No I know its not normal, but there is an oak seedling (about 6in high)
growing in one of my hanging baskets (which was planted last Nov). The
nearest oak tree is about 1/2 m away.

--
Tumbleweed

I read that as hanging baskets in tree...... :~)

Could the acorn have been dropped by a bird or left by a squirrel?
Maybe it was in the compost?

I too had an oak come up in one of my alpine troughs - on the roof terrace -
miles from any oaks at all !!
I potted it up and kept it for a few years until it got too big. It is now
residing with friends in the Dordogne :~)

Jenny

Tumbleweed 24-05-2004 12:08 AM

Trees in hanging baskets?

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
.. .
No I know its not normal, but there is an oak seedling (about 6in high)
growing in one of my hanging baskets (which was planted last Nov). The
nearest oak tree is about 1/2 m away.

--
Tumbleweed

I read that as hanging baskets in tree...... :~)

Could the acorn have been dropped by a bird or left by a squirrel?
Maybe it was in the compost?

I too had an oak come up in one of my alpine troughs - on the roof

terrace -
miles from any oaks at all !!
I potted it up and kept it for a few years until it got too big. It is now
residing with friends in the Dordogne :~)

Jenny

Almost definitely not in the compost, and unlikely to have been dropped by a
squirrel, which leaves a bird as the likely culprit.