GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomatoes not Flowered Yet (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/62073-tomatoes-not-flowered-yet.html)

Joanne 24-05-2004 11:08 AM

Tomatoes not Flowered Yet

I've grown tomatoes (Gardeners Delight) from seeds planted in January.
Grown indoors, recently planted into growbags in the greenhouse. The plants
are tall, but there are no flowers yet on any of them. Should I be worried?

Thanks.

Alan Gould 24-05-2004 08:07 PM

Tomatoes not Flowered Yet

In article xhksc.20$Vp5.17@newsfe2-win, Joanne
writes
I've grown tomatoes (Gardeners Delight) from seeds planted in January.
Grown indoors, recently planted into growbags in the greenhouse. The plants
are tall, but there are no flowers yet on any of them. Should I be worried?

They should at least be showing flower buds by now. If they are over
tall, they may be lacking in sufficient light. Try to give them more
light in proportion to heat, i.e. either increase light, or reduce heat.
You will also soon need to decide whether they are to grow as cordons,
or as bushy plants, i.e. whether to pinch out their side-shoots or not.
Gardener's delight can grow either way, but indoor ones are usually
grown as cordons in order to save space.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.