Old 24-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Broadback

Default Cause of patchy germination of peas and broad beans?

The last peas and broad beans that I have sowed have been very patchy in
germination, part of the rows are fine, then there will be a complete
gap of a foot or so, this is repeated along the rows. What may the
cause be? I'm pretty certain that it is not slugs and I have laid the
pea sticks over to keep the birds off.

Is it likely to be mice? If so what is the prevention, I have a vague
idea that my father dipped his in paraffin?

TIA
John
--
Please only reply to Newsgroup as emails
to this address are deleted on arrival.
Old 25-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

"Broadback" wrote in message
The last peas and broad beans that I have sowed have been very patchy in
germination, part of the rows are fine, then there will be a complete
gap of a foot or so, this is repeated along the rows. What may the
cause be? I'm pretty certain that it is not slugs and I have laid the
pea sticks over to keep the birds off.

Is it likely to be mice? If so what is the prevention, I have a vague
idea that my father dipped his in paraffin?

TIA
John
--
Please only reply to Newsgroup as emails
to this address are deleted on arrival.

I read recently that a scattering of chicken manure pellets at time of
sowing helps - the smell of the pellets hides the smell of the seeds. It
certainly worked for us - no gaps in peas or runner beans and it looks as
though we have only lost a couple of broad beans

Jeanne Stockdale

Old 04-06-2004, 08:27 PM
david taylor

I was losing 70-90% of my peas. I have a woodland garden and there is plenty
of evidence of woodmice-pretty little brown and white creatures.
My heighbour uses paraffin or white spirit and I had 80-90% success by
soaking the peas in white spirit for 20minutes.-He has success with
germination and recommended 15-30minutes.
No water soaking is needed and the white spirit can be strained off and
re-used.
I think mice were the culprits.