Old 26-05-2004, 08:09 AM
James Annan

Default tree houses

Are there any (planning) restrictions at all on the construction of
tree houses for childrens' play? In the situation I have in mind,
someone is erecting what appears to be a fairly substantial and
permanent structure up in the sky directly overlooking a neighbour's
garden. The neighbour presumably is limited in defence by the 2m (?)
height restriction on fences. The tree house certainly extends well
above that, and it has a raised deck outside well-suited for kiddies
to stand on and lean over the wall.

I realise that of course the tree-house-builder's family have a right
to enjoy their garden too, but what makes it particularly unfortunate
is that the tree house is situated directly adjacent to a bit of patio
and garden seat in the victim's garden. So it's not even as easy as
just planting a big tree - they would have to dig up the patio and
relay it in different spot (and it's already in the best place,
centred on a south-facing wall). Anyone got any better ideas?

This is in Scotland, if that matters. Of course there is a fair chance
that the tree house will fall into disuse in a few weeks anyway...

James
Old 26-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Peter Crosland

There have been cases of them being removed under planning legislation in
England but the best bet is to have a word with your neighbour and explain
your concerns.

Old 26-05-2004, 08:10 AM
JennyC

"James Annan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Found these........:
http://www.homeandleisure.co.uk/diy/...eehouse1.shtml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...09/ntree09.xml

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ne...ts_a_trim.html

It looks as if you should ask the local council.
Jenny

Old 26-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Roger J. P. Jones

In message , James
Annan writes
[...]

What a miserable old Grotty you sound James . Do not get like me!!

Think of the fun pleasure some old ones would get watching the kids
having fun in a tree house.

CONTROLS CONTROLS = JOBS FOR THE BOYS.
--
Roger J. P. Jones
Old 26-05-2004, 01:07 PM
shazzbat

"Roger J. P. Jones" wrote in message
In message , James
Annan writes
[...]

If you were truly an old git, you would be looking forward to seeing the
little buggers falling out of the tree house and breaking their legs.
That'll learn'em.

Steve

Old 26-05-2004, 03:07 PM
PeteM

Roger J. P. Jones posted

Think of the fun pleasure some old ones would get watching the kids
having fun in a tree house.

That could get you arrested these days ...

--
PeteM
Old 26-05-2004, 09:19 PM
FF

On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:38:57 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:
If you were truly an old git, you would be looking forward to seeing the
little buggers falling out of the tree house and breaking their legs.
That'll learn'em.

Where I live the kids climb up two hawthorn trees just outside my garden. I've always
made it very clear to them that it's not my problem if they break their little necks,
but there'll be trouble if they land on my fence. They seem to take it in good
part:-)

Liz
(tongue very much in cheek)
Old 26-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Max Power

Think of the fun pleasure some old ones would get watching the kids
having fun in a tree house.

That could get you arrested these days ...

Only if you were jerking off while watching them.

Old 27-05-2004, 12:18 AM
Mike

In message , Max Power
writes
Think of the fun pleasure some old ones would get watching the kids
having fun in a tree house.

That could get you arrested these days ...

Only if you were jerking off while watching them.

Or thinking about doing so.
--
Mike
Old 27-05-2004, 12:13 PM
shazzbat

"Mike" wrote in message
In message , Max Power
writes
Think of the fun pleasure some old ones would get watching the kids
having fun in a tree house.

That could get you arrested these days ...

Only if you were jerking off while watching them.

Or thinking about doing so.

Maybe you could say to their parents "I'm really looking forward to seeing
your kids playing in that tree house in their skimpy summer clothes, will
they be having friends round to stay over?" Then you could prune back some
of your own shrubs to give you a clear field of vision. They should think
twice then.

Steve

Old 27-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Matt Barton

On Thu, 27 May 2004 11:14:36 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
In message , Max Power
writes
Think of the fun pleasure some old ones would get watching the kids
having fun in a tree house.

That could get you arrested these days ...

Only if you were jerking off while watching them.

Or thinking about doing so.

Maybe you could say to their parents "I'm really looking forward to seeing
your kids playing in that tree house in their skimpy summer clothes, will
they be having friends round to stay over?" Then you could prune back some
of your own shrubs to give you a clear field of vision. They should think
twice then.

Steve

Probably not a good idea if you live in one of those areas where
paediatricians get beaten to within an inch of their lives by News Of
The World "readers".

Matt
Old 27-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Matt Barton

On Thu, 27 May 2004 11:14:36 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
In message , Max Power
writes

Old 27-05-2004, 08:19 PM
The Q

(James Annan) wrote in message . com...
[...]

IIRC for a building in the garden without planning or building
permission, providing it is more than 5 metres from the house ( and
behind the fromt line of the house), 2 metres from the boundary if
made of wood, 1m if non flammable. You may build up to 50 percent of
your land area, a shed or other building that has no sleeping
accomodation of maximum size 30 square metres. This may have a flat
roof if built to a maximum height of 3 metres or 4 metres height if
pitched.
oh if you're lucky like me and have a acre and a half of garden you
can have as many of these 30 sq M sheds as you want.

THe Q
Old 27-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Bystander

"The Q" wrote
Are there any (planning) restrictions at all on the construction of
tree houses for childrens' play?

Not in Springfield.

Bart has a really nice one.