Old 27-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Jane H

Default Help identifying please

Hello,

We bought two bulbs at a plant sale over two years ago, but lost the
information that came with them! They were huge and smooth, not unlike
a potato but even heavier. We remembered that they liked shade so
planted them under a tree, though couldn't tell which end should be on
top.. Nothing happened for about 1 1/2 years. I dug them up about six
months ago, still smooth as a stone, and just plopped them into some
loose compost in the greenhouse. They suddenly grew foliage, small
green, roundish leaves on very thin stems. No flowers have appeared
and they are very slow-growing.

Can anyone suggest some names of plants they think it might be? If we
have a few names, at least we can look them up.

Thanks,

JH
Old 27-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Jane H" wrote in message
Hello,

We bought two bulbs at a plant sale over two years ago, but lost the
information that came with them! They were huge and smooth, not unlike
a potato but even heavier. We remembered that they liked shade so
planted them under a tree, though couldn't tell which end should be on
top.. Nothing happened for about 1 1/2 years. I dug them up about six
months ago, still smooth as a stone, and just plopped them into some
loose compost in the greenhouse. They suddenly grew foliage, small
green, roundish leaves on very thin stems. No flowers have appeared
and they are very slow-growing.

Can anyone suggest some names of plants they think it might be? If we
have a few names, at least we can look them up.

Thanks,

Sounds like a cyclamen corm, you will have to wait on the flowering to id it
properly
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Jane H
writes
Hello,

We bought two bulbs at a plant sale over two years ago, but lost the
information that came with them! They were huge and smooth, not unlike
a potato but even heavier. We remembered that they liked shade so
planted them under a tree, though couldn't tell which end should be on
top.. Nothing happened for about 1 1/2 years. I dug them up about six
months ago, still smooth as a stone, and just plopped them into some
loose compost in the greenhouse. They suddenly grew foliage, small
green, roundish leaves on very thin stems. No flowers have appeared
and they are very slow-growing.

Can anyone suggest some names of plants they think it might be? If we
have a few names, at least we can look them up.

Are the leaves hairy?
If so Phlomis?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 28-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Jane H

On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:54:36 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

loose compost in the greenhouse. They suddenly grew foliage, small
green, roundish leaves on very thin stems. No flowers have appeared
and they are very slow-growing.

Can anyone suggest some names of plants they think it might be? If we
have a few names, at least we can look them up.

Thanks,

Sounds like a cyclamen corm, you will have to wait on the flowering to id it
properly

YES! I looked up cyclamens in the RHS encyclopedia today and that's
exactly what the leaves and stems look like. Haven't seen any flowers
yet, though. According the RHS book, some cyclamens are winter
flowering, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

Jane