Old 28-05-2004, 01:18 PM
Registered User

Default problems with McCulloch strimmer

Hi, I am helping with a local group to maintain the grounds. We have a McCulloch 300 strimmer & it is giving problems running our budget is very limited so a workshop repair is not feasible.

If I can get it started, it dies when revved & it also it does not restart when hot. How can I determine the correct settings for fast/idle screws & what ones are those screws I have two plastic one respectively red & white.

What is the right way to restart a 2 stroke engine?

I suspect the fuel mix is wrong as it runs happily at tickover & under a little throttle, but not at half-full throttle as that causes it to die.

Thanks.
Old 28-05-2004, 10:09 PM
mrcheerful

"Strimmer noob" wrote in
message s.com...

--
Strimmer noob

first essential is the correct fuel/oil mix.
one screw will be "hi" one "lo"

gently turn the hi one by a quarter of a turn left (anti clockwise.) then
try the strimmer, if it is now improved, you can try a further slight left
or right adjustment till the strimmer sounds happy and revs well.

mrcheerful

Old 29-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Rod

On Fri, 28 May 2004 12:58:53 GMT, Strimmer noob
wrote:

Hi, I am helping with a local group to maintain the grounds. We have a
McCulloch 300 strimmer & it is giving problems running our budget is
very limited so a workshop repair is not feasible.

If I can get it started, it dies when revved & it also it does not
restart when hot. How can I determine the correct settings for
fast/idle screws & what ones are those screws I have two plastic one
respectively red & white.

What is the right way to restart a 2 stroke engine?

I suspect the fuel mix is wrong as it runs happily at tickover & under
a little throttle, but not at half-full throttle as that causes it to
die.

Thanks.

I answered an almost identical question some weeks ago on here - you
should find it if you search the google groups archive. I should add
to that answer that you need to check the obvious like air cleaner,
the filler cap vent and any fuel filter before messing with carburetor
settings.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 31-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the help guy, I cant get it to give more than an attempt to fire, so I contacted repair shops, result is that I was advised to throw it out & buy a new one as it is a cheap(ish) machine. Really annoying as I am sure it is only a minor problem because I had it going last week for 10 mins, but all my experience is with 4 strokes (car engines) & not for 15 years or so...

I guess we all need to look at chipping in for a new machine
Old 31-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Rod

On Mon, 31 May 2004 15:59:59 GMT, Strimmer noob
wrote:

Thanks for the help guy, I cant get it to give more than an attempt to
fire, so I contacted repair shops, result is that I was advised to
throw it out & buy a new one as it is a cheap(ish) machine. Really
annoying as I am sure it is only a minor problem because I had it going
last week for 10 mins, but all my experience is with 4 strokes (car
engines) & not for 15 years or so...

I guess we all need to look at chipping in for a new machine

They always say that. With labour charges at 15-30quid an hour, just
looking at it is going to cost more than a second hand McCulloch
strimmer is worth. However it *is* worth you spending some of your
time on it, trying the carb adjustments.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod
wrote:

Thanks for the help guy, I cant get it to give more than an attempt to
fire, so I contacted repair shops, result is that I was advised to
throw it out & buy a new one as it is a cheap(ish) machine. Really
annoying as I am sure it is only a minor problem because I had it going
last week for 10 mins, but all my experience is with 4 strokes (car
engines) & not for 15 years or so...

I guess we all need to look at chipping in for a new machine

They always say that. With labour charges at 15-30quid an hour, just
looking at it is going to cost more than a second hand McCulloch
strimmer is worth. However it *is* worth you spending some of your
time on it, trying the carb adjustments.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Yes I did spend some two hours trying the carb settings & it just won't fire despite having fuel, strong blue spark & compression :-(

I'll try changing the fuel for new stuff next, last shot I think before giving up.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Strimmer noob" wrote in
message s.com...

http://tinyurl.com/26lxm *

Thanks for the help guy, I cant get it to give more than an attempt to
fire, so I contacted repair shops, result is that I was advised to
throw it out & buy a new one as it is a cheap(ish) machine. Really
annoying as I am sure it is only a minor problem because I had it going
last week for 10 mins, but all my experience is with 4 strokes (car
engines) & not for 15 years or so...

I guess we all need to look at chipping in for a new machine
--
Strimmer noob

I have had similar trouble and cleared it by pushing the choke lever up and
down (quickly) while the throtel was pressed eventually finding a sweet
point where it would run and rev
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 01-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Gary Woods

Strimmer noob wrote:

I'll try changing the fuel for new stuff next, last shot I think before
giving up.
--

The carbs in these critters are extremely vulnerable to bits of dirt; they
use a rubber diaphragm to pump fuel and regulate pressures so as to be

Old 2 stroke mcculloch strimmer Whiteshepherd86 Gardening 2 23-01-2017 10:20 PM
Strimmer advice needed. (was How to rewind line on to strimmer head?) Adam Lipscombe United Kingdom 2 22-05-2008 02:22 PM
problems with McCulloch strimmer Alan Lever Gardening 0 13-07-2005 07:58 PM
McCulloch Trimmac 210 Petrol Strimmer BIGEYE United Kingdom 1 22-08-2004 01:22 PM
McCulloch Strimmer Line Frank P United Kingdom 35 11-06-2004 09:37 AM