Old 29-05-2004, 03:09 PM
RichardS

Default Thunbergia/Ipomea good bed-mates?

I'm just about to plant about 15 thunbergia "Susie mixed" into their normal
flowering container - a 30cm round terracotta bowl (with appropriate
drainage). They'll be growing up a 1.5m (approx) willow (I think) wigwam,
and last year were perfectly happy doing that.

However, I've also got a dozen or so Ipomea "Crimson Rambler" and whilst
most of these will go into one or two other containers to grow up trellis on
the wall/fence, I was thinking about including a few of them with the
Thunbergia to add a little variety to the display.

However, would this be such a good idea? I'm worried that one or other of
the plants might be a little too vigourous and crowd out the other one. I
haven't grown this particular Ipomea before and don't know quite how
vigorous it is, nor how many to include if it is suitable. 3 or 4 in the
mix with the 15 thunbergia?

Any thoughts?

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 29-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
RichardS wrote:

I'm just about to plant about 15 thunbergia "Susie mixed" into their normal
flowering container - a 30cm round terracotta bowl (with appropriate
drainage). They'll be growing up a 1.5m (approx) willow (I think) wigwam,
and last year were perfectly happy doing that.

However, I've also got a dozen or so Ipomea "Crimson Rambler" and whilst
most of these will go into one or two other containers to grow up trellis on
the wall/fence, I was thinking about including a few of them with the
Thunbergia to add a little variety to the display.

However, would this be such a good idea? I'm worried that one or other of
the plants might be a little too vigourous and crowd out the other one. I
haven't grown this particular Ipomea before and don't know quite how
vigorous it is, nor how many to include if it is suitable. 3 or 4 in the
mix with the 15 thunbergia?

Assuming that it is one of the common annual Ipomoeas, then it
doesn't have a huge root system. How tall it grows will depend
on a lot of things, but it probably won't strangle Thunbergia
(assumed to be alata).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-05-2004, 11:14 PM
RichardS

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
RichardS wrote:

[...]

thanks, Nick.

Yes, I digged the packet out and checked - it is T. Alata.

I'll give it a go and see what happens, my guess is about 3 Ipomea plants in
the mix should be enough to fill things out a bit and give a variety of
colour in there.

This year I've got a digital camera to take pictures of the results, so
future year's planting shoudl be a little more informed than the current
reliance on (vague) memory!

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

In my garden July 13 Petunia basket mates.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 31-07-2009 03:22 AM
Ipomea Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 21 03-03-2007 11:51 AM
Anyone want some Ipomea seeds? Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 15 05-09-2005 09:26 PM
Thunbergia grandiflora Staycalm Australia 1 07-10-2004 07:06 AM
Discus tank mates? Skunky Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 18-07-2003 10:13 AM