GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grass Seed Query Re Germination & Quality (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/62693-grass-seed-query-re-germination-quality.html)

David Gibson 30-05-2004 11:15 AM

Grass Seed Query Re Germination & Quality

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can let me know if there are any great degrees in
the germination rate of various off the shelf grass seed types.

I ask as I have recently attempted to improve my moderate looking
lawn. In the shady areas I sowed "Wolf Grass Seed for Shady & Normal"
areas and in the other patchy areas of the lawn I sowed some B&Q grass
seed without any Rye Grass in the mixture. After watering I then
covered the areas with clear plastic sheeting & left for a week.

The Wolf seed in the more shady area has started to germinate & I have
blades of grass about one to two inches long. In the area where I
sowed the B&Q seed there is no germination at all.

Am I expecting the B&Q seed to germinate too quickly or is it just
duff seed.

Lastly, if I need to further sow seed can anyone recommend a good
supplier of reasonable value and quality seed as I have quite a large
area to sort out.

Regards

martin 30-05-2004 11:15 AM

Grass Seed Query Re Germination & Quality

On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:16:58 +0000 (UTC), David Gibson
wrote:

Lastly, if I need to further sow seed can anyone recommend a good
supplier of reasonable value and quality seed as I have quite a large
area to sort out.

It depends where you are. I can recommend Roger Plants in Pickering, N
Yorks, for lawn seed etc.

http://www.rvroger.co.uk/intro.htm

David Gibson 30-05-2004 01:29 PM

Grass Seed Query Re Germination & Quality

Martin,

Thanks for the recommendation, unfortunately I am in Surrey so it
would be a bit far to travel for that one.

Regards

martin 30-05-2004 01:31 PM

Grass Seed Query Re Germination & Quality

On Sun, 30 May 2004 11:30:27 +0000 (UTC), David Gibson
wrote:

Martin,

Thanks for the recommendation, unfortunately I am in Surrey so it
would be a bit far to travel for that one.

In that case look for a local garden centre with a large variety of
grass seed on sale.
Martin