Old 31-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Richard Roocroft

Default Clematis for full sun.......

........To train along a fence, that won't fade too much. We like bold
colours, and have just planted Sir Trevor Lawrence, but have room for at
least another one. Ideally big flowers and fragrance - not at all fussy,
then ! Montana 'Freda' sounds a good choice for a small flower, but will
she be happy restricted to approx 6ft height by 10ft. Wide ?

Incidently, this is my first post this season, as I've been busy with
work. Cormaic still here ? Hope you're well.

Anyway, Happy Noo Year !

Regards.
--
Richard Roocroft
Old 31-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:09:33 +0100, Richard Roocroft
wrote:

.......To train along a fence, that won't fade too much. We like bold
colours, and have just planted Sir Trevor Lawrence, but have room for at
least another one. Ideally big flowers and fragrance - not at all fussy,

A friend of mine has "fireworks". It's about as bright as you can get
and does well in sun, but sorry, no fragrance! Not fussy? Huh!
Are there any large flowered and fragrant clematis?

Pam in Bristol
Old 31-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

.......To train along a fence, that won't fade too much. We like bold
colours, and have just planted Sir Trevor Lawrence, but have room for at
least another one. Ideally big flowers and fragrance - not at all fussy,

A friend of mine has "fireworks". It's about as bright as you can get
and does well in sun, but sorry, no fragrance! Not fussy? Huh!

I grow C. viticella in full sun.

Are there any large flowered and fragrant clematis?

Can't think of any, myself.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:10 AM
Douglas

"Richard Roocroft" wrote in message

.......To train along a fence, that won't fade too much. We like bold
colours, and have just planted Sir Trevor Lawrence, but have room for at
least another one. Ideally big flowers and fragrance - not at all fussy,
then ! Montana 'Freda' sounds a good choice for a small flower, but will
she be happy restricted to approx 6ft height by 10ft. Wide ?'

***********************
The Montanas are your best bet, Get either bigger flowered deeper rose
colour or the lighter same or a white. Scented?- that's pushing it a wee
bit.
6ft x !0 ft?. Just the job, - it will fill that space in no time, - but,
after a couple of years it will be a bit bulky, however , you can prune it I
suppose. They have just made a fine show, but the flowering doesn't stay
too long and you'll have to wait until next spring for another flush.
Doug.
***********************

Old 01-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Charlie Pridham

wrote:

.......To train along a fence, that won't fade too much. We like bold
colours, and have just planted Sir Trevor Lawrence, but have room for at
least another one. Ideally big flowers and fragrance - not at all fussy,

A friend of mine has "fireworks". It's about as bright as you can get
and does well in sun, but sorry, no fragrance! Not fussy? Huh!
Are there any large flowered and fragrant clematis?

Pam in Bristol

Try looking up 'Asao' large pink flowers and scented, sweet like Clematis
rehderiana, although not as strong as say a honeysuckle! As for 'Freda'
great montana not as big as most but sadly no scent.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 05-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Richard Roocroft

In message , Douglas
writes

"Richard Roocroft" wrote in message
.. .

.......To train along a fence, that won't fade too much.

***********************
--
Richard Roocroft

Thanks so much to Pam, Nick, Charlie and Douglas. Meant to follow up on
your suggestions, but found I couldn't resist.....

Triternata Rubramarginata, Denny's Double, Fascination and Westerplatte.

Instead of waiting for a Montana to flower & fill the fence next year,
thought I'd go for 4 different plants, so at least *one* should do well
on my heavy clay soil. Which, if your Clemmy fans, you might like to
answer my next question re. Colouring, in a different thread.....

Regards.

Roo.

--
Richard Roocroft

Clematis - Clematis-Bright-Sun.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 2 22-04-2007 10:14 PM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Low perennials for 50sqft, full sun, poor drainage, deer-res.? Marc Stephenson Texas 11 09-06-2003 12:56 PM
Will Shasta Daisy grow in constantly wet sand/full sun? Kevin Miller Gardening 4 04-06-2003 12:32 PM
Full Sun Hanging Baskets Lewis Spurlin North Carolina 0 08-04-2003 03:21 PM