GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   plants sales - chelsea/hampton ct (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/62885-plants-sales-chelsea-hampton-ct.html)

pete_J-T 01-06-2004 10:23 PM

plants sales - chelsea/hampton ct

When show plants are sold on the last day at these shows... well...
how cheap/expensive are they??

Garden centre prices? Or are they throwing them away??

Just wondered...

Tumbleweed 02-06-2004 09:04 AM

plants sales - chelsea/hampton ct

"pete_J-T" wrote in message
om...
When show plants are sold on the last day at these shows... well...
how cheap/expensive are they??

Garden centre prices? Or are they throwing them away??

Just wondered...

Cheaper and cheaper towards the end of the day verging towards throwing them
away at the end (though by then they will be selling out as well so you may
not get what you want). And obviously it all depends on the individual
stand.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Janet Baraclough.. 02-06-2004 03:16 PM

plants sales - chelsea/hampton ct

The message
from (pete_J-T) contains these words:

When show plants are sold on the last day at these shows... well...
how cheap/expensive are they??

Garden centre prices? Or are they throwing them away??

Years ago Chelsea's Friday afternoon sale used to be dirt cheap or
literally give-away; I remember getting a wonderful double white
trillium for 20 p, and having ophiopogon nigrescens (rare then)snatched
as I was about to pay for it, by some wretched woman who rammed a coin
into the seller's outstretched hand and ran off. But last time I was
there a lot of the plants being sold were everyday ones, often already
reserved and being sold at full catalogue price. I wouldn't recommend
paying full prices for ex-display plants. Bear in mind, many of them
have been artificially forced or held back, kept in a hot marquee for a
week, and will need TLC when you get them home.

I've not heard that Hampton Court does a last-day sale of display
plants; maybe someone else knows. Unlike Chelsea, plants are for sale on
the spot all through the show.

Janet

Tumbleweed 02-06-2004 05:24 PM

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
[...]

It does (or at least, it did the last time I was there 2 or 3 years ago, and
I'll be there again last day this year so I'm expecting (hoping) it still
does.

tuin man 02-06-2004 09:14 PM

plants sales - chelsea/hampton ct

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
.. .

"pete_J-T" wrote in message
om...
When show plants are sold on the last day at these shows... well...
how cheap/expensive are they??

Garden centre prices? Or are they throwing them away??

Just wondered...

Cheaper and cheaper towards the end of the day verging towards throwing

them
away at the end (though by then they will be selling out as well so you

may
not get what you want). And obviously it all depends on the individual
stand.

--
Tumbleweed

What I couldn't help but notice from the Chelsea telly coverage was at that
end of show sale point, there seemed to be a lot of £20 notes being handed
over for quite ordinary plants, but I never once saw change from the £20s
been given back.
It seemed really odd.

Patrick

Sacha 02-06-2004 09:20 PM

plants sales - chelsea/hampton ct

On 2/6/04 20:21, in article , "tuin man"
wrote:

snip

What I couldn't help but notice from the Chelsea telly coverage was at that
end of show sale point, there seemed to be a lot of £20 notes being handed
over for quite ordinary plants, but I never once saw change from the £20s
been given back.
It seemed really odd.

Patrick

SOME nurserymen and I do mean some, not all, up their prices for shows. It
takes a lot of money to set up a stand and exhibit at a show. They have to
pay for the stand, hire a van, take accommodation somewhere, buy meals.
And what else can you buy for £20 that will last for years, if you look
after it properly?
You can't get a good meal in a restaurant for that, a few bottles of wine
will see it gone, few pieces of lasting clothing cost so little. Why should
plants be cheap just because they're plants?
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Alastair 03-06-2004 09:11 AM

plants sales - chelsea/hampton ct

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message ...

It does (or at least, it did the last time I was there 2 or 3 years ago, and
I'll be there again last day this year so I'm expecting (hoping) it still
does.

Ooh, ooh, so will I!

The last day is 11th July, which is my birthday, so I've got the
missus and I some tickets for a birthday treat. The bumpf I read says
that the show finishes at 17:30 on that day and the sale of show
plants starts at 16:30.
Never been to one of these shows before but I'm sure I'll enjoy it,
and I'm hoping to expand my carnivorous plant collection with some
'birthday presents'!!

Cheers
Alastair