GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Good underplanting for Papaver orientalis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/62925-good-underplanting-papaver-orientalis.html)

Thes 02-06-2004 11:05 AM

Good underplanting for Papaver orientalis

Hello all,

I seem to have developed a wild passion for P. orientalis in its various
forms and had a great display in my microscopic front garden over the
last month or so.

Now, the back garden is being readied for cultivation and I plan to
plant some more there. So I'm looking for suggestions on plants which
may be planted under or near to the poppies which will take up the space
after the poppies are finished.

In the front I've put in a bunch of deciduous arum lillies (Zantedeschia
ethiopica hybrids) which come up fast at just the right time. Any other
suggestions?

AdvThanksance
Thes.

Franz Heymann 03-06-2004 04:13 PM

"Thes" wrote in message
Hello all,

I seem to have developed a wild passion for P. orientalis in its

various
forms and had a great display in my microscopic front garden over

the
last month or so.

Now, the back garden is being readied for cultivation and I plan to
plant some more there. So I'm looking for suggestions on plants

which
may be planted under or near to the poppies which will take up the

space
after the poppies are finished.

In the front I've put in a bunch of deciduous arum lillies

(Zantedeschia
ethiopica hybrids) which come up fast at just the right time. Any

other
suggestions?

Are there hybrids which are hardier than the species?
Dare I risk them in the open at the top end of Wensleydale, in a
reasonably sheltered garden?

Franz

Thes 03-06-2004 04:21 PM

Good underplanting for Papaver orientalis

Franz Heymann wrote:
"Thes" wrote in message

snip
Now, the back garden is being readied for cultivation and I plan to
plant some more there. So I'm looking for suggestions on plants which
may be planted under or near to the poppies which will take up the
space after the poppies are finished.

In the front I've put in a bunch of deciduous arum lillies
(Zantedeschia ethiopica hybrids) which come up fast at just the right
time. Any other suggestions?

Are there hybrids which are hardier than the species? Dare I risk
them in the open at the top end of Wensleydale, in a reasonably
sheltered garden?

Franz

Beats me. The orange-flowered ones I have survived the last two winters
but are planted quite close to the house, so the ground is not going to
freeze hard (if at all).

I'm not sure where Wensleydale is, I'm afraid. Being, like Zantedeschia,
an import! But I expect you know that the plants won't stand for a hard
frost, even when dormant.

If anyone does have any info on hardier Zants then I'd also be
interested to find out.

Thes.