Old 04-06-2004, 08:09 AM
EddySon

Default Runner Bean Support (Glass Fibre Poles)!

Does anyone know where I can buy "glass fibre" poles which can be used
instead of the usual bamboo canes, for
supporting runner beans (wigwam style).
Thanks Ed

Old 04-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Philip

Does anyone know where I can buy "glass fibre" poles which can be used
instead of the usual bamboo canes, for
supporting runner beans (wigwam style).

Do you know if this type of pole would work properly. I would imagine
that these poles would be smooth and straight and might not provide
enough grip for the beans to get started.

I am about to relocate a hazel from where the squirrel planted it, and
plant it at the end of the garden. In a few years it will provide me
with bean poles for free.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Philip wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy "glass fibre" poles which can be used
instead of the usual bamboo canes, for
supporting runner beans (wigwam style).

Do you know if this type of pole would work properly. I would imagine
that these poles would be smooth and straight and might not provide
enough grip for the beans to get started.

Unless they are VERY smooth, there won't be a problem, and even that
could be cured by rubbing them down with sandpaper.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Paul D.Smith

[snip]
Or just bung a few of those nylon ties around them at strategic
intervals to stop the stems from sliding down the poles.

And what stops the nylon ties from sliding down these smooth poles ;-)

Paul DS.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:09 PM
martin

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:52:50 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

[snip]
Or just bung a few of those nylon ties around them at strategic
intervals to stop the stems from sliding down the poles.

And what stops the nylon ties from sliding down these smooth poles ;-)

Lack of imagination? :-)
Old 04-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Stephen Howard

wrote:

[snip]
Or just bung a few of those nylon ties around them at strategic
intervals to stop the stems from sliding down the poles.

And what stops the nylon ties from sliding down these smooth poles ;-)

Lack of imagination? :-)

Rhypophobia.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 05-06-2004, 11:42 PM
EddySon

Interesting comments ..... but I guess no one knows where to buy such
poles. Guess it's back to the good old
bamboo's !
Ed

Old 10-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Will

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 21:46:15 +0100, "EddySon"
wrote:

Interesting comments ..... but I guess no one knows where to buy such
poles. Guess it's back to the good old
bamboo's !
Ed

Hi Ed,

I use white pvc conduit for my beans, which came in a pack from
www.screwfix.com

Each "pole" is 3m long, and, iirc, a pack of 33 lengths cost
about 30GBP.

The beans climb them without any noticeable problem, which I was
surprised and pleased to find when I first used them, last year.

--
Regards,

Will.