Old 05-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Brian

Default greenhouse position - spine on east-west line?

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in message
HI,
When the books say east-west line for the spine of the greenhouse I am
presuming they mean to use magnetic north/south? Does it matter that much

if
I am out a fraction?

We are having a concrete base laid next week and I am having a hole for
water to drain and some holes for wires/pipes to go in later. Is there
anything else I should consider when having the base set in? (we are on a
slope and will have a drain by the door put in when I get the path sorted
out, the back end is down hill atm or would be)

thanks
amber

The difference between the 'Norths' is relatively unimportant.
Use a local map and use the North indicated. Just check for trees and
potential shade.
"Down hill"? With a glass greenhouse it is best to buid up the foundations
so that all is level. Have you a means of getting the rainwater inside?
Have the structure well anchored onto the foundations or it could fly.
Hope all goes well. Brian.

Old 05-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Brian" wrote in message

The difference between the 'Norths' is relatively

unimportant.
Use a local map and use the North indicated. Just check for trees and
potential shade.
"Down hill"? With a glass greenhouse it is best to buid up the

foundations
so that all is level.

All shaded bits have been accounted for, I believe. Its just the orientation
I am finalising now. I though the orientation effected the angel of light
during the winter or is that neither here nor there?

Yes, we are being 'built up'.

Have you a means of getting the rainwater inside?

??? sorry I don't get this bit.
I am not hooked up to mains or power atm in the greenhouse, neither have I
sorted out waterbutts. The drainage was so I could clean out and wouldn't
end up with puddles. Plus the hill will slope down into the doorway.

Have the structure well anchored onto the foundations or it could fly.

hopefully this is already sorted.

Hope all goes well. Brian.

thanks
amber

Old 05-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Brian

"Brian" wrote in message

[...]

___________________
The rain water from the guttering can be directed to an internal sunken

butt~~ this gives watering at an inside temperature and avoids chlorine etc.
The orientation is important but the difference between the various
Norths is relatively minuscule~~ unless you are flying!!
Regards Brian

Old 05-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Brian" wrote in message

___________________
The rain water from the guttering can be directed to an internal

sunken
butt~~ this gives watering at an inside temperature and avoids chlorine

etc.
The orientation is important but the difference between the various
Norths is relatively minuscule~~ unless you are flying!!

Oh never heard of that. Sunken butt sounds something the mafia would do to
you!

thanks again for the clarification
amber

Old 06-06-2004, 12:45 AM
kenty ;-\)

Hi, I have a greenhouse for growing orchids & having a source of rain water
inside the greenhouse that is of inside temp is important,especially in
winter when tap water is really cold & rainwater is a natural source for
plants.

--
Thanks Keith,UK.

___________________

Old 06-06-2004, 02:08 AM
Amber Ormerod

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi, I have a greenhouse for growing orchids & having a source of rain

water
inside the greenhouse that is of inside temp is important,especially in
winter when tap water is really cold & rainwater is a natural source for
plants.

is that any different than bringing it inside the greenhouse for a few hours
to get to the same temp?

Old 09-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Brian

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in message

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi, I have a greenhouse for growing orchids & having a source of rain

water
inside the greenhouse that is of inside temp is important,especially in
winter when tap water is really cold & rainwater is a natural source

for
plants.

is that any different than bringing it inside the greenhouse for a few

hours
to get to the same temp?

Not really. Just more convenient. Even tap water would soon lose any

chlorine etc.
Most summers the rainwater gets finished anyway and has to be replaced from
the tap.
Brian

Old 09-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Douglas

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in message

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi, I have a greenhouse for growing orchids & having a source of rain

water
inside the greenhouse that is of inside temp is important,especially in
winter when tap water is really cold & rainwater is a natural source

for
plants.

is that any different than bringing it inside the greenhouse for a few

hours
to get to the same temp?

*********
(In friendly tones (!!)....). - You will find you will have better and more
important things to do, than wait, once the greenhouse building is
completed. The raising of the temperature of water from its ambient temp
is a slow process depending entirely on the extent of time and the heating
applied, implying that much heat energy is expended to reach higher
temperatures. We all know this, - don't we, - and anyway, what about Her
Indoors calling for her chauffeur to take her to Asdas, - or the pricey
dress-shops, just as you are breaking out the watering cans.!
Reserve a corner inside the greenhouse for your potting table and underneath
build 2 stands alongside each other comprising 2 cement blocks standing on
their edges but raised about four inches underneath with house bricks. That
height will be about 28 inches. These will support an oblong plastic butt
from B&Q with a tap at the best useful place, That 28 measurement can be
anything, just make it suit
the height of the bucket and the height of the tap on the side of the but.
I,f.t. (!!)...). - Anyone who digs a pit reservoir with the top at ground
level should be taken aside and thrashed within an inch of his life.
Why??.I will answer with only one word,- Children. It's the same with ponds.
I have a small one but it is well and properly guarded.
I have seen neglected allotments with sunken butts and the rotten wooden
lids still
crumbling after thirty years , -some with no lid at all, unattended and
unrepaired.

I,f.t. (!!)...). - For oblong greenhouse structures in this Country,
(England). east-west or somewhere near that, is best. The sunshine rises
shining through the eastern end or a corner , sweeps slowly across one side
and sets shining through the western end or corner in the evening.
When drawing up the plans I strongly urge you to consider designing the
greenhouse with built-up beds inside. Mine are about 28 inches high from
shoe-sole level, ( one brieze-block or cement block on top of another with
house brick under to get the extra 4 inches on the height). How easy it is
thereafter, to work at the plants without too much effort and not get
sacro-iliac problems like the dreaded sciatica, of which I am a victim.
If its a big house you'll have to design-in, - in the middle of each side,
(I have only one side thus) for personal reasons, - I use the otherside for
potting etc., etc.) design in entry squares because the length of the ends
will make the middle portion too wide to reach the perimeter plants near the
glass on the long side of the greenhouse. That square built there for
standing on is lost for growing anything, of course.
How to construct - build the low brick walls first, then fill the inside of
the growing beds, i.e., rubble underneath and soil on top. But first knock
drain holes in the wall, each side at ground level about two-to-three inches
wide will do. Arrange slight slopes on the bottom of the bed floor to drain
into the holes. (I have not bothered to make a cement floor, - I don't think
it is necessary. I have only two holes at one end because the g/house is
built in a slightly sloping hill. The greenhouse is level, of course.
Fill in the bottom, up to about eight inches with broken pave slabs or such,
very loose together then you will later fill in with stones or whatever
about the size of your lightly-clenched fist, more or less, use your
judgement and whatever you've got or can get.
Building up the actual sides of the beds.:- Build up the beds to about four
inches *higher* than two cement blocks laid lengthways standing on their
edges, Those low walls will be about 28 inches above the floor you are going
to stand and walk on, (Lower than that negates the whole job, - you will
still have awkward physical back-bending problems. Higher tends to make the
top of the soil bed difficult to work.) Now to fill in the earthy
'growing' compost, (which I have just replaced this years after three to
four years use. (Tomatoes).
I have already in another thread explained I mix in my trusty cement mixer
The depth of final growing compost to the top of the inside wall is just
nicely over a foot. (The "Growing Soil" is just above a foot deep.)
I mix soil: - Lets' talk about that. If you buy it in it's expensive so
you are growing tomatoes, plants, etc for a hobby. Nemmind, eh! there's
always something to do, and that is very important.
When you retire from the daily slog, a deadly enemy called idleness quickly
saps your confidence and you wake up in the morning and you ask yourself
what you are going to do.
A person interested in gardening has already as good as beaten the enemy.
We rise and eat, then wander out the back. Look at those roses! they've come
on nicely!. The big poppies are in full bloom! .You reach the greenhouse
and enter to open up. Look at those side-shoots,!
I'll soon pinch 'them' out!. Its comfortably warm in there,- it relaxes
you. Your mind is looking outwards , not inwards, and slowly you happily
potter on. and forget all about diazepam.
As I was saying before I digressed, the compost I use is (approx) 40%
earth-soil, 30% peat, 5% coarse sand, 25% composted leaves. A handful of
Phostrogen, two or three handfuls of bonemeal, a soupcon each of fish'n bone
and dried seaweed granules. You can mix-up any sort of compost you fancy.
The tomatoes are already as high as the second flowers and the cucumbers
also doing well.
I live in the Furness peninsular, by the sea , up North-west, South Cumbria.
Doug.
This post may repeat. I have had a small crash. Perhaps not, it's not in my
Sent List.
*************

Old 09-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Douglas" wrote in message

snip long reply

thank you for the long reply!
I am afraid I am wimping out and paying a man (men) to put in the base. My
back is not very strong and my housemate travels 4 out of 5 days. I just
took up his only day off building a bed for sweetcorn ;-) But thank you
again for the long reply and all the other answers that have given me much
info and things to consider.

thanks again
amber

East & West Fruit NT United Kingdom 1 13-08-2011 08:00 PM
Moving food from the west back to the east William Wagner[_2_] Gardening 7 23-09-2007 08:37 PM
Raised garden North-South or East-West ? Bob Gardening 6 08-01-2007 12:18 AM
North to south or east to west (Rows) Colin Jacobs United Kingdom 7 18-12-2006 08:31 PM
East -West Dilemma Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) United Kingdom 1 27-05-2006 06:44 AM