Old 05-06-2004, 02:12 PM
ooberman

Default Removing ivy from wall

I've just spent about 3 hours removing ivy from the front of my house. It
came down quite easily apart from the tendrils, which refuse to budge.

I've read a few suggestions regarding these and one mentions leaving them to
dry out for a few weeks and scrubbing the wall down with a brush and
detergent. I'll give this a go, but out of curiosity does anybody have any
other suggestions.

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2004, 06:05 PM
redclay

ooberman wrote in message
I've just spent about 3 hours removing ivy from the front of my house. It
came down quite easily apart from the tendrils, which refuse to budge.

I've read a few suggestions regarding these and one mentions leaving them

dry out for a few weeks and scrubbing the wall down with a brush and
detergent. I'll give this a go, but out of curiosity does anybody have any
other suggestions.

Do not like them dry out; they will adher like cement. Spray them with a
detergent and scrub with a heavy duty plastic brush. Soaking with detergent
and then using a power washer works but do not use too strong a washer as
you might dislodge paint or mortar.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Sarah Dale

ooberman wrote:

I've just spent about 3 hours removing ivy from the front of my house. It
came down quite easily apart from the tendrils, which refuse to budge.
I've read a few suggestions regarding these and one mentions leaving them
to dry out for a few weeks and scrubbing the wall down with a brush and
detergent. I'll give this a go, but out of curiosity does anybody have any
other suggestions.

This may sound a bit peculiar, but it does work! Or at least it did for me
when removing ivy from a brick wall with no other finish, but I still had
the body of ivy available.

I one day shortened an ivy that was heading for my guttering. I wanted the
ivy, but only up to 6ft high, rather than 20ft! I cut across the steams,
and then yanked upwards. But I couldn't reach even with a ladder to get the
stems off all the way up. I got an old metal pipe, threaded the end of the
ivy stem into it, and then pushed the pipe upwards. This had the effect of
stripping the leaves off, but did clear the stem and tendrils off the wall
very nicely.

As you are left with just tendrils, theis may not help you, but probably
worth a try pushing somthing flat and sharp under them to prise them off.

HTH, Sarah
Old 09-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Paul D.Smith

[snip]

Presumably time will eventually remove them for you although they're pretty
woody so you will need to be patient!

Paul DS.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:52 AM
Paul D.Smith

[snip]

Presumably time will eventually remove them for you although they're pretty
woody so you will need to be patient!

Paul DS.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Concord Wall Blocks (Retaining Wall) Patrick Gillette Gardening 0 06-10-2004 10:34 PM