Old 05-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Bella

Default Rosa rugosa

Hi,

A friend is about to move into a house with an open plan front lawn. She is
not allowed to erect a fence around the lawn border, but can use lowish
hedging. We would like to use prickly rosa rugosas and a complimentary plant
to mix in, also with prickles. Any suggestions for the variety of rugosa and
the complimentary plant would be most welcome.

Thanks, in advance.
Bella

Old 06-06-2004, 02:09 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:24:03 +0100, Bella wrote:

A friend is about to move into a house with an open plan front lawn. She is
not allowed to erect a fence around the lawn border, but can use lowish
hedging. We would like to use prickly rosa rugosas and a complimentary plant
to mix in, also with prickles. Any suggestions for the variety of rugosa and
the complimentary plant would be most welcome.

Rosa rugosa is not a "lowish hedging".

What I wonder about is why your friend moved into a place with a
no-fence rule, presumably well aware of it, and then immediately
sets to work to circumvent it? It's like someone buying property
next to a farm for the amenity value (oooh, see the cowsies!) and
then whining about the smell of manure.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 09-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes
On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:24:03 +0100, Bella wrote:

A friend is about to move into a house with an open plan front lawn. She is
not allowed to erect a fence around the lawn border, but can use lowish
hedging. We would like to use prickly rosa rugosas and a complimentary plant
to mix in, also with prickles. Any suggestions for the variety of rugosa and
the complimentary plant would be most welcome.

Rosa rugosa is not a "lowish hedging".

What I wonder about is why your friend moved into a place with a
no-fence rule, presumably well aware of it, and then immediately
sets to work to circumvent it? It's like someone buying property
next to a farm for the amenity value (oooh, see the cowsies!) and
then whining about the smell of manure.

Probably because, like most of us who own houses, we can't find all our
requirements at a price we can afford. So we settle on finding the most
important, and work on mitigating the effects of the bits we don't like.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 09-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Harry12

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Probably because, like most of us who own houses, we can't find all our
requirements at a price we can afford. So we settle on finding the most
important, and work on mitigating the effects of the bits we don't like.

Well said, Kay.

We tried Rosa Rugosa but it does look straggly when kept cut back, and of
course it's bare for several months of the year. Try pyrancantha - flowers
in summer, berries in winter.

Harry

Old 09-06-2004, 03:43 PM
Bella

"Rodger Whitlock" replied:

What I wonder about is why your friend moved into a place with a
no-fence rule, presumably well aware of it, and then immediately
sets to work to circumvent it? It's like someone buying property
next to a farm for the amenity value (oooh, see the cowsies!) and
then whining about the smell of manure.
---

As all the neighbouring houses have an assortment of bushes and trees
in their front gardens, my friend was not aware and indeed not told of the
no-fence rule prior to moving in. Quite a few also have white painted,
low ranch style fencing.
Instead of sending a 'smart Alec' reply to my posting, you could have had
the courtesy to suggest alternative plants.

Bella

Old 09-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bella" wrote in message
Hi,

A friend is about to move into a house with an open plan front lawn.

She is
not allowed to erect a fence around the lawn border, but can use

lowish
hedging. We would like to use prickly rosa rugosas and a

complimentary plant
to mix in, also with prickles. Any suggestions for the variety of

rugosa and
the complimentary plant would be most welcome.

R. rugosa hybrids are truly beautiful roses. I think your friend
should erect a hedge of them, putting them about a foot from the
border on his/her side, and then just sit down to await developments.
Don't bother about a complementary plant. There won't be room for it.
Hint: My rugosa hybrids are real beauties, but at four years of age,
they have diameters of about 8 ft and heights of about 5 ft.

Franz

Old 09-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bella" wrote in message
[...]

Spacing for Rosa rugosa hedge? George V. Roberts Jr. Roses 5 26-10-2004 12:24 PM
Spacing for Rosa rugosa hedge? George V. Roberts Jr. Roses 0 22-10-2004 05:50 PM
Rosa Rugosa Fall Planting Massachusetts? George V. Roberts Jr. Roses 2 17-09-2004 07:48 PM
rosa rugosa Nelson Kirsch Gardening 4 25-06-2003 09:32 AM
Rosa Rugosa Ophelia United Kingdom 4 29-04-2003 12:32 PM