Old 10-06-2004, 03:14 AM
Kay

Default magnolia grandiflora goliath - help me please

In article , Sacha
writes

The OP may well be genuine but I don't think many people buy something of
that name without getting a clue as to its tendencies. 'grand'

but the 'grand' was applied to the flowers!

and 'goliath'
alone would be a hint.

Yes - that was my reaction on seeing the 'goliath'

And if it was as expensive as Magnolias can be, IME
most people ask first as to whether or not it's suitable for their garden.
I do think some people *always* ask the appropriate questions in nurseries;
in some garden centres they'd be pushed to find someone who *could* answer
them.

I was after a male pernettya out of flowering season. GC had an
'information point' - they looked completely blank (despite having a
whole stand full of pernettyas).

--
Kay

Old 10-06-2004, 03:14 AM
Brian

Personally, I am quite used to the most stupid of conclusions reached
by
supposedly PG students~~albeit under stress, in haste, and without time

for
further reflection. Last year:- " If your parents could not have

children
then you will also remain childless" [This was not the first time I had

seen
this statement]
"We forget how many of our ancestors died as young children, through
starvation"
This latter quote I initially passed and it only dawned on me some

minutes
later!!.

I'd have thought this quote was perfectly possible - just not in the

direct
line. Aunts and uncles etc., are ancestors, too. ;-)
I rather like "Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children".

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

ancestors died childless. This was the trap I nearly fell into.
I wondered if the 'grandiflora' aspect just implied to them that the
flowers were large. On the other hand how many tyros understand any Latin
these days?
I agree re. our children. When they were young I thought them lovely
enough to eat. As teenagers I wished I had done!!
Grandchildren are different~ you can hand them back. Last week my 6 yr.o.
g.daughter walked in with a trug of flower trusses from the tomatoes ~~
having previously watched me removing side shoots!!. She is still my 'best
girl in the world'~~truly.
Thanks again Brian.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:30 AM
frazzled

"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

I posted the question in all good faith, I thought grandiflora & goliath

referred to the flowers. I am a total novice to gardening, & am just feeling
my way along, much the same as with using my husbands computer. If I have
offended anyones sensibilities then I am truly sorry. & unfortunately I
can't take it back from where I bought it, so like it or lump it I am stuck
with it & must persevere to do my best.Thank-you for your replies though,
I'm just stupid I guess.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:35 AM
Brian

"frazzled" wrote in message

"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

_____________________________
Thank you ~~ It was gracious of you to respond. We were all at that

stage at some time but tend to forget. Would be nice if you could find a
suitable home for it. ~ Must have been quite costly.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:52 AM
Kay

In article , frazzled
writes

I posted the question in all good faith, I thought grandiflora & goliath

referred to the flowers.

Grandiflora does. You're just unlikely that this particular grandiflora
comes with a body to match ;-)

I am a total novice to gardening, & am just feeling
my way along, much the same as with using my husbands computer. If I have
offended anyones sensibilities then I am truly sorry. & unfortunately I
can't take it back from where I bought it, so like it or lump it I am stuck
with it & must persevere to do my best.Thank-you for your replies though,
I'm just stupid I guess.

No, not stupid. Just new to gardening, and having had an unthinking
moment All of us make silly mistakes, and we don't stop making them just
because we're more experienced.

--
Kay

Old 10-06-2004, 03:54 AM
Sacha

On 6/6/04 20:50, in article , "frazzled"
wrote:

snip
I posted the question in all good faith, I thought grandiflora & goliath
referred to the flowers. I am a total novice to gardening, & am just feeling
my way along, much the same as with using my husbands computer. If I have
offended anyones sensibilities then I am truly sorry. & unfortunately I
can't take it back from where I bought it, so like it or lump it I am stuck
with it & must persevere to do my best.Thank-you for your replies though,
I'm just stupid I guess.

LOL! Of *course* you haven't offended anyone but it did sound a bit
improbable! Could you give that Magnolia to someone as a present and get
another more suitable to the size of your garden, do you think? But at
least urg has given you one piece of advice, I hope, which will help you in
the future - if in doubt, ask before you buy! And if it's of any comfort to
you, you'd be a very strange gardener, beginner or not, who didn't make
mistakes! We all do and some of them are expensive ones.
I'm sorry I thought you might be a troll, we've had a rash of them lately
and it raises suspicions!

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Old 10-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Sacha

On 6/6/04 16:38, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

snip
I do think some people *always* ask the appropriate questions in nurseries;

snip Sigh - should be: "I don't* think some people..." etc.