GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   magnolia grandiflora goliath - help me please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/63137-magnolia-grandiflora-goliath-help-me-please.html)

frazzled 05-06-2004 11:43 PM

magnolia grandiflora goliath - help me please

I have just bought a small magnolia grandiflora goliath (approx. one metre
tall).It has three branches. I have never written to here before, & am in
need of some advice. I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to
trim/cut it to make it bushy & not let it grow too big. So it is like a nice
big bush rather than the huge tree it could become. I am new to gardening,
but I am very patient & am willing to wait years to achieve the end
result.Please help me. Thank-you in anticipation, Fiona.

Brian 06-06-2004 01:13 AM

"frazzled" wrote in message
I have just bought a small magnolia grandiflora goliath (approx. one metre
tall).It has three branches. I have never written to here before, & am in
need of some advice. I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to
trim/cut it to make it bushy & not let it grow too big. So it is like a

nice
big bush rather than the huge tree it could become. I am new to gardening,
but I am very patient & am willing to wait years to achieve the end
result.Please help me. Thank-you in anticipation, Fiona.
________________________

It is not easy to advise. You have already made your choice~~ M.
grandiflora is potentially a large growing wall shrub though can be free
standing. To make it, as you wish, you could reduce growths in early spring
but it seems so painful~~and probably very many years without flowering ; if
at all.
Is it too late to suggest that you find a high wall to grow it
against?~ it would look at its best and take little room.
There are many Magnolias that would have naturally grown as you wish [
M. stellata etc.] Your choice is the most unlikely.
Sorry not to be more helpful.
Brian.

Frogleg 09-06-2004 03:39 PM

magnolia grandiflora goliath - help me please

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 00:20:39 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

"frazzled" wrote

I have just bought a small magnolia grandiflora goliath (approx. one metre
tall).It has three branches. I have never written to here before, & am in
need of some advice. I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to
trim/cut it to make it bushy & not let it grow too big.

It is not easy to advise. You have already made your choice~~ M.
grandiflora is potentially a large growing wall shrub though can be free
standing. To make it, as you wish, you could reduce growths in early spring
but it seems so painful~~and probably very many years without flowering ; if
at all.

Doesn't the cultivar name suggest that 'not too big' isn't one of this
plant's most prominent features?

http://www.habitas.org.uk/gardenflor...lia_grandi.htm

I have experience with 'shrubs' whose natural growth stops somewhere
around 20-30 feet (not of *my* choosing) and without constant pruning,
they'd reach it in short order.

Sacha 09-06-2004 03:42 PM

magnolia grandiflora goliath - help me please

On 6/6/04 10:41, in article ,
"Frogleg" wrote:

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 00:20:39 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

"frazzled" wrote

[...]

I'd assumed that given the plant's name, the original question was posed by
a troll. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Brian 09-06-2004 03:56 PM

magnolia grandiflora goliath - help me please

I'd assumed that given the plant's name, the original question was posed

by
a troll. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

That was my first thought too, Sacha, but then I wonder how seemingly
ignorant beginners can be?. Do we forget that our knowledge was not innate?
I have, at times, wondered if many questions are genuine. As has been said
before, all questions are easy if one has the knowledge and experience.
Many people with new gardens seem to purchase the most inappropriate
plants. Just look in the trolleys leaving a garden centre~~ Knowing their
gardens! The young leaves of M. grandiflora are attractive enough to be
only second to the blooms~and purchased because of their leaves?.
Personally, I am quite used to the most stupid of conclusions reached by
supposedly PG students~~albeit under stress, in haste, and without time for
further reflection. Last year:- " If your parents could not have children
then you will also remain childless" [This was not the first time I had seen
this statement]
"We forget how many of our ancestors died as young children, through
starvation"
This latter quote I initially passed and it only dawned on me some minutes
later!!.
Regards Brian 'flayb' to respond'

Sacha 09-06-2004 04:03 PM

magnolia grandiflora goliath - help me please

On 6/6/04 14:09, in article ,
"Brian" wrote:

I'd assumed that given the plant's name, the original question was posed

by
a troll. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

That was my first thought too, Sacha, but then I wonder how seemingly
ignorant beginners can be?. Do we forget that our knowledge was not innate?

The OP may well be genuine but I don't think many people buy something of
that name without getting a clue as to its tendencies. 'grand' and 'goliath'
alone would be a hint. And if it was as expensive as Magnolias can be, IME
most people ask first as to whether or not it's suitable for their garden.
I do think some people *always* ask the appropriate questions in nurseries;
in some garden centres they'd be pushed to find someone who *could* answer
them.

However, if the OP is genuine, his or her best bet is to take the plant back
to the gc and exchange it for something more suitable.

[...]

I'd have thought this quote was perfectly possible - just not in the direct
line. Aunts and uncles etc., are ancestors, too. ;-)
I rather like "Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children".

Sacha 09-06-2004 05:05 PM

magnolia grandiflora goliath - help me please

On 6/6/04 16:38, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

snip
I do think some people *always* ask the appropriate questions in nurseries;

snip Sigh - should be: "I don't* think some people..." etc.

Kay 09-06-2004 05:08 PM

magnolia grandiflora goliath - help me please

In article , Sacha
writes

The OP may well be genuine but I don't think many people buy something of
that name without getting a clue as to its tendencies. 'grand'

but the 'grand' was applied to the flowers!

and 'goliath'
alone would be a hint.

Yes - that was my reaction on seeing the 'goliath'

And if it was as expensive as Magnolias can be, IME
most people ask first as to whether or not it's suitable for their garden.
I do think some people *always* ask the appropriate questions in nurseries;
in some garden centres they'd be pushed to find someone who *could* answer
them.

I was after a male pernettya out of flowering season. GC had an
'information point' - they looked completely blank (despite having a
whole stand full of pernettyas).

--
Kay