Old 09-06-2004, 09:00 PM
PK

Default grape vine for pergola.

Victoria Clare wrote:
"kenty ;-\)" wrote in
s.com:

Hi all,i have a pergola, which i am going to grow a wistera .I would
like to grow a grape vine which are good enough too eat,is this
possible if so can anyone recommend a variety?I live in
Nottingham,East midlands.

Um, do you mean you are planning to grow a wisteria and a grape vine
on the same pergola? If so, I think you may need to re-think, unless
the pergola is a large one. Wisterias are very large vigorous
plants, and grapes need plenty of sun to crop well.

I'd be worried about shading out the vine with the wisteria - unless
you have plenty of room to prune both and keep them more or less
separate.

You can do it with a bit of fprwrd planning.... 2*Wisteria trained along
the side timbers of the pergola with all side branches cut back very short.
Grape vine(s) as a green roof in the sun.

pk

Old 09-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes:

| Um, do you mean you are planning to grow a wisteria and a grape vine on the
| same pergola? If so, I think you may need to re-think, unless the pergola
| is a large one. Wisterias are very large vigorous plants, and grapes need
| plenty of sun to crop well.

However, both can be pruned to be kept within bounds.

| I'd be worried about shading out the vine with the wisteria - unless you
| have plenty of room to prune both and keep them more or less separate.

In my case, the converse is more likely - but it is Vitis coignetae
and Wisteria frutescens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Kay

In article , PK
writes

You can do it with a bit of fprwrd planning.... 2*Wisteria trained along
the side timbers of the pergola with all side branches cut back very short.
Grape vine(s) as a green roof in the sun.

Hmm ... I have a pergola with apples trained along the sides and over
the top, and a wisteria crawling along the top of the apples ... adding
a grape vine would be one step too far ... but could I grow a grape vine
up one of the other trees? I not worrying about maximising fruit, but
perhaps getting a little, while at the same time having an attractive
creeper?

--
Kay

Old 10-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Victoria Clare

"kenty ;-\)" wrote in
s.com:

Hi all,i have a pergola, which i am going to grow a wistera .I would
like to grow a grape vine which are good enough too eat,is this
possible if so can anyone recommend a variety?I live in
Nottingham,East midlands.

Um, do you mean you are planning to grow a wisteria and a grape vine on the
same pergola? If so, I think you may need to re-think, unless the pergola
is a large one. Wisterias are very large vigorous plants, and grapes need
plenty of sun to crop well.

I'd be worried about shading out the vine with the wisteria - unless you
have plenty of room to prune both and keep them more or less separate.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall