GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing root ginger (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/63759-growing-root-ginger.html)

Steve Harris 11-06-2004 12:33 AM

Growing root ginger

In article , (Deborah
P.) wrote:

pieces left over from my shopping basket

Try butternut Squash

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Jaques d'Alltrades 11-06-2004 09:40 AM

Growing root ginger

The message
from Gregory contains these words:

BTW : I'm now trying to germinate some juniper berry seeds - from
berries bought from the supermarket spice section, of course !

Don't give them too much heat. Squash the berries and separate the seeds
from within. Wash them, and sow just in or on ericaceous compost.

HTH

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Jaques d'Alltrades 11-06-2004 09:40 AM

Growing root ginger

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

Ginger grows quite readily, and has attractive foliage. I've never
gotten any to bloom, but others claim to have done so. It likes sun,
heat and humidity, and is not frost-tolerant.

Ginger isn't even tolerant of temperatures anywhere near zero - I've
lost ginger rhizomes on windowsills during the winter.

Nick Maclaren 11-06-2004 09:41 AM

Growing root ginger

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:
| The message
| from Gregory contains these words:
|
| BTW : I'm now trying to germinate some juniper berry seeds - from
| berries bought from the supermarket spice section, of course !
|
| Don't give them too much heat. Squash the berries and separate the seeds
| from within. Wash them, and sow just in or on ericaceous compost.

Ericaceous compost? For JUNIPER? Please reboot your brain and
see if the problem recurs ....

Yes, it will almost certainly be happy in it, but it will be
equally happy in a 50% limestone/compost mixture. In the UK, it
is found mostly on chalk, but that is because of the drainage.
It doesn't like waterlogging.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 12-06-2004 12:09 AM

Growing root ginger

The message

| Don't give them too much heat. Squash the berries and separate the seeds
| from within. Wash them, and sow just in or on ericaceous compost.

Ericaceous compost? For JUNIPER? Please reboot your brain and
see if the problem recurs ....

Yes, it will almost certainly be happy in it, but it will be
equally happy in a 50% limestone/compost mixture. In the UK, it
is found mostly on chalk, but that is because of the drainage.
It doesn't like waterlogging.

Mine have done very nicely on ericaceous compost, thank you, whereas the
ones planted at the same time in ready-bagged seed compost didn't do
anything.