Old 10-06-2004, 01:44 PM

Default potatoes

Hello,

Following the advice here I bought some seed potatoes. I found 2nd
earlies and main crop in the garden centre and took them home and
chitted them. Later I bought some 1st earlies too. All varieties are
now growing, but the 2nd earlies are taller than the 1st earlies; I
don't know if that's because they had a head start as I bought the 1st
earlies slightly later or whether that variety just grows taller
anyway? It could also be the 1st earlies are slightly more in the
shade.

I have just moved to this garden so I don't have an established
compost heap, so I have been buying compost to help with the earthing
up. I have not used any feeds, so perhaps they have taken nutrients
from the compost? What feeds do you recommend if any? I haven't done
much watering; the rain has taken care of that. So with the exception
of earthing up, they have been relatively maintenance free. What
should I be doing to them?

Finally, and most importantly, how do I know when it is time to
harvest the tubers?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Alan Gould

In article ,
writes
[...]

The time to begin lifting maincrop potato tubers is after flowering has
finished and the haulms are beginning to wither. The tubers can be left
in longer than that to mature but they will have reached their maximum
size by then and they will be vulnerable to wireworm and other attacks.

Early varieties grow and mature more quickly than maincrop. 1st. and
2nd. earlies can be lifted as soon as flowers are seen, or even earlier
than that, though they will not have reached full size by then. Tubers
are edible at any size. The height or volume of top growth is not a
direct indication of the amount of crop underneath, in fact over large
haulms could be taking some of the plant's energy from the tubers.

From what you describe, no further nutrients seem necessary, but if you
can earth any of them up more, especially the maincrop, it will give you
a bigger crop. Ordinary soil will do for that unless it is known to be
infected with any diseases.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:47 PM
Douglas

wrote in message
[...]

*******
Re. your last question.
You wait until the plant is flowering and, - at the beginning, - when they,
the flowers, start to wilt a bit you tentatively start to harvest the
taties, (Usually Earlies, because at that stage they are bright and fresh),
but, - if you are going to use each plant singly you can scratch into the
side of the furrow mound at any particular plant you fancy has developed
enough, and have a decko. Some of the taties will be there in the side of
the furrow, but don't go too deep in.
If you are going to fully harvest and store, (not necessary if you are not a
farmer) you wait until you think there are some taties big enough and if
so, you then dig up a root and use them if big enough. They will be a bit
smaller than usual but as you begin to dig them up at intervals as needed.
If there are too many little ones clinging to the roots don't dig any more
up for a week or three.
With Lates the ones left in will develop until the last one dug up will be a
bit more than fully mature and at that stage the flowers will have gone and
sometimes you can leave them in and then leaves grow brown and fall over.
You can harvest and store or dig up as required until all are used up.
Sometimes, if you have no storage place you can leave them in even if its
frosty. How big the crop is for use or storage is important at this stage.
The above is a bit garbled but that''s how it is!,- you bungle along and use
your judgement as best you can. Every case is different, but the above shows
the general way to deal with it.
Doug.
*********

Old 11-06-2004, 09:41 AM
gary davis

On 6/7/04 12:17 AM, in article ,
"Douglas" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it does depend upon the variety you have planted...some potato plants
have potatoes a long way from the main plant. Others, are close to the main
stalk.

If you are going to fully harvest and store, (not necessary if you are not a
farmer) you wait until you think there are some taties big enough and if
so, you then dig up a root and use them if big enough.

The small ones are yummy... If they are all small well you cannot replant
so gather them all up (leaving the rest of the plants to get bigger) and
savour the ones you have...

They will be a bit
smaller than usual but as you begin to dig them up at intervals as needed.

Just the thought of fresh potatoes from the garden causes my mouth to water.
A little, or a lot of, butter, salt, pepper! Wow! Enjoy!

If there are too many little ones clinging to the roots don't dig any more
up for a week or three.
With Lates the ones left in will develop until the last one dug up will be a
bit more than fully mature and at that stage the flowers will have gone and
sometimes you can leave them in and then leaves grow brown and fall over.
You can harvest and store or dig up as required until all are used up.
Sometimes, if you have no storage place you can leave them in even if its
frosty. How big the crop is for use or storage is important at this stage.
The above is a bit garbled but that''s how it is!,- you bungle along

I can relate to that...

and use
your judgement as best you can. Every case is different, but the above shows
the general way to deal with it.
Doug.
*********

There have been a few good posts about this. Good luck (mouth still
watering!)

Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada