Old 10-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Dave Fawthrop

Default Amazing fact #138

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:40:42 +0100, David Fawthrop wrote:

| Robert Heinbaugh of Plainsville, Ohio, has the distinction of being
| the first person in the world to be shot by a lawn mower... As he cut
| the grass one evening, he ran over a live bullet which went off and
| shot him in the foot.

Guess why they hate me

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at

Old 10-06-2004, 03:59 PM
J. Del Col

David Fawthrop wrote in message . ..
Robert Heinbaugh of Plainsville, Ohio, has the distinction of being
the first person in the world to be shot by a lawn mower... As he cut
the grass one evening, he ran over a live bullet which went off and
shot him in the foot.

This is nonsense.

When a cartridge detonates outside a gun's chamber, the bullet barely
moves. The cartridge case may split and the primer may go flying, but
the bullet travels only a short distance at low velocity. An
unconfined bullet can't develop the pressure necessary to hit with any
force. This has been confirmed by repeated tests. .

If the bullet or case was struck by the blade and sent flying, that's
a different story.

J. Del Col
Old 10-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:40:42 +0100, David Fawthrop wrote:

| Robert Heinbaugh of Plainsville, Ohio, has the distinction of being
| the first person in the world to be shot by a lawn mower... As he cut
| the grass one evening, he ran over a live bullet which went off and
| shot him in the foot.

Guess why they hate me

Old 10-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:40:42 +0100, David Fawthrop wrote:

| Robert Heinbaugh of Plainsville, Ohio, has the distinction of being
| the first person in the world to be shot by a lawn mower... As he cut
| the grass one evening, he ran over a live bullet which went off and
| shot him in the foot.

Guess why they hate me

Old 10-06-2004, 06:48 PM
dps

J. Del Col wrote:
...When a cartridge detonates outside a gun's chamber, the bullet barely
moves. The cartridge case may split and the primer may go flying, but
the bullet travels only a short distance at low velocity. An
unconfined bullet can't develop the pressure necessary to hit with any
force. This has been confirmed by repeated tests...

When I was a kid and didn't know any better, we made a gun from a cap
pistol, the kind that used the circular array of 6 caps. We drilled out
the cylinder to fit a .22 caliber bullet and filed down the hammer to
hit at the edge of the shell. The barrel was clear and about 1/2"
diameter. Having done all this, we went out to the field and fired it at
a bottle. After firing 20 or 30 rounds and apparently not hitting the
bottle, we put the muzzle right into the neck of the bottle and fired.

The slug bounced around in the bottom of the intact bottle.

The cylinder must have fit the shell fairly well, because the brass came
out easily (no flaring of the end), but there was nothing past the
cylinder, so the gas from the powder burning just blew by the slug and
it got no appreciable velocity.

This sounds very much like the equally unlikely story of the redneck who
blew a fuse in his truck and replaced it with a .22 cartridge, which
then heated up and exploded, shooting him in the leg or somewhere.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Major Neil Barking

In article: Ian Stirling
writes:
In uk.d-i-y Paul Mc Cann wrote:
In article ,
says...
In uk.d-i-y Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip go@fish wrote:
Be still and pray homage to Illogic Bomb who posted this on 04 Jun 2004...

go@fish (Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip) wrote in
-vegetables:

Be still and pray homage to David Fawthrop who posted this on 04 Jun
2004...

Robert Heinbaugh of Plainsville, Ohio, has the distinction of being
the first person in the world to be shot by a lawn mower... As he cut
the grass one evening, he ran over a live bullet which went off and
shot him in the foot.

Did he die?

Not unless his brain was in his foot or something.

He could have bled to death.

Unlikely.
When you set off a cartridge that's not inside a gun, if it's unrestrained
the brass simply shoots off the bullet (which is heavier) at a relatively
low velocity, due to the very low pressure.
If it is restrained, it bursts the cartridge, again at a very low pressure,
and with a very short 'barrel', little speed is reached by the bullet.

I wouldn't be an expert but I was present when a 22 round went off after
being struck with a nail (don't ask) and it scared the s***t out of me
as it definitely attained some velocity

It's going to obtain some velocity, but not really very much.
You'd probably get more out of an airgun.

How fitting.

--
Neil Barking