Old 10-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Martin

Default Moved Rose - Now poorly, any hope ?

Hello,

Dug up a rose bush at the weekend as a peony was smothering it. I placed
the roots in water and deposited in the garden today, not far from
original position.

I added some bonemeal, multi compost to the dug up soil and carefully
placed it around the roots etc. and watered.

2 hours later leaves are looking droopy and I realise this is wrong time
of year to move a rose, but its not an outstanding specimen when "well"
and had to be moved.

Any ideas on what I should feed it (if anything) and should I water,
water and water ? Also if the leaves all drop off is there any
likelihood that it could perk up later in the year ?

Thanks.

Martin.

Old 10-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Kay

In article , Martin
writes
Hello,

Dug up a rose bush at the weekend as a peony was smothering it. I placed
the roots in water and deposited in the garden today, not far from
original position.

I added some bonemeal, multi compost to the dug up soil and carefully
placed it around the roots etc. and watered.

2 hours later leaves are looking droopy and I realise this is wrong time
of year to move a rose, but its not an outstanding specimen when "well"
and had to be moved.

Any ideas on what I should feed it (if anything) and should I water,
water and water ? Also if the leaves all drop off is there any
likelihood that it could perk up later in the year ?

Don't feed it!
Water it daily.

What's happening to it now is that it's losing water through its leaves
faster than it can replace it through it's inevitably damaged roots. I
would prune it to reduce the amount of leaf, and erect a sunshade to
keep the sun off and cut down water loss from leaves. You'll need to
keep watering it for the rest of the season to make sure the soil around
it doesn't become dry.

It probably would have been best to leave it till autumn (and perhaps
tie back the paeony, especially once it finished flowering), but there
again, the best time to move anything I find is when I have the urge to
do it. Leave it till the right time, and the urge has gone ;-)
--
Kay

Old 10-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Douglas

"Martin" wrote in message
Hello,

Dug up a rose bush at the weekend as a peony was smothering it. I placed
the roots in water and deposited in the garden today, not far from
original position.

I added some bonemeal, multi compost to the dug up soil and carefully
placed it around the roots etc. and watered.

2 hours later leaves are looking droopy and I realise this is wrong time
of year to move a rose, but its not an outstanding specimen when "well"
and had to be moved.

Any ideas on what I should feed it (if anything) and should I water,
water and water ? Also if the leaves all drop off is there any
likelihood that it could perk up later in the year ?
Thanks.
Martin.

It will stagger for some time this year. All you can do is keep it well
watered,
The tiny roots hairs on the root network systems have been disturbed and are
not in contact with the earth they grew into and through for the sustenance
of the plant..
Feed it, but only lightly , too strong a mixture and you may overdo it and
upset the balance.
Survival chance i about fifty-fifty, I should think.
Anyway! - they are not too dear to buy at back-end and there's always Her
Indoors with a couple of days deprivation of her gin to fall back on!
Doug.

Old 10-06-2004, 11:39 PM
JennyC

"Martin" wrote in message
Hello,

Dug up a rose bush at the weekend as a peony was smothering it. I placed
the roots in water and deposited in the garden today, not far from
original position.

I added some bonemeal, multi compost to the dug up soil and carefully
placed it around the roots etc. and watered.

2 hours later leaves are looking droopy and I realise this is wrong time
of year to move a rose, but its not an outstanding specimen when "well"
and had to be moved.

Any ideas on what I should feed it (if anything) and should I water,
water and water ? Also if the leaves all drop off is there any
likelihood that it could perk up later in the year ?

Thanks.
Martin.

Keep it well watered and try to rig up some shade for it until is acclimatizes.

Old umbrellas work well for me :~)
Jenny

Old 10-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
Hello,

Dug up a rose bush at the weekend as a peony was smothering it. I

placed
the roots in water and deposited in the garden today, not far from
original position.

I added some bonemeal, multi compost to the dug up soil and

carefully
placed it around the roots etc. and watered.

2 hours later leaves are looking droopy and I realise this is wrong

time
of year to move a rose, but its not an outstanding specimen when

"well"
and had to be moved.

Any ideas on what I should feed it (if anything) and should I water,
water and water ? Also if the leaves all drop off is there any
likelihood that it could perk up later in the year ?

Prune it lightly and drape a large transparent plastic bag over it for
a few weeks to minimise transpiration until its roots can cope with
supplying water to it.

Next time you transplant a plant don't feed it anything at all until
the new roots are established

Franz

Old 10-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Martin

"
Keep it well watered and try to rig up some shade for it until is

acclimatizes.

Old umbrellas work well for me :~)
Jenny

Thanks for this advice. I'm following it to the letter including the
umbrella. Sun is very strong where I transplanted.

Mike