Old 11-06-2004, 09:41 AM
gary davis

Default Daffodil question

Hello everyone,
I have some daffodils that were purchased in a small pot and have
bloomed etc. I let the tops die down and have now taken them out of the pots
and am drying them out so that I can replant...somewhere. I may put them
into pots again but I am not sure.
Does anyone have any ideas about this? Should I have taken them out of
the pots? Should I dry them and if so for how long? When should they be
planted? I'd like to get them to produce more bulbs, if that is the proper
term. Thanks for any input.
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada

To reply please remove...yoursocks...

Old 11-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Kay

In article , gary davis
writes
Hello everyone,
I have some daffodils that were purchased in a small pot and have
bloomed etc. I let the tops die down and have now taken them out of the pots
and am drying them out so that I can replant...somewhere. I may put them
into pots again but I am not sure.
Does anyone have any ideas about this? Should I have taken them out of
the pots? Should I dry them and if so for how long? When should they be
planted? I'd like to get them to produce more bulbs, if that is the proper
term. Thanks for any input.

It's not necessary to dry them out before replanting - it's probably
better just to take them out and replant.

The blooms you get next year depend on how well they've grown this year.
It's difficult to get them growing really well in pots (they have
relatively large root systems), so usually one would grow them in pots
the first year, and plant them into the garden afterwards. That said,
the small varieties (up to about 6 inches tall) will live in big tubs
and window boxes quite happily.

If you plant them into the garden now, then they should settle and will
produce more bulbs naturally.
--
Kay