GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing Tobacco (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/64211-growing-tobacco.html)

Justin Harding 11-06-2004 09:47 AM

Growing Tobacco

Hello Everyone.

I'am wondering if anyone has any experience growing tobacco here in our
Newfoundland climate. For those that do, I would like to know where to get
the seeds for it, and also where should I grow it ? I heard that it was like
growing corn, but I don't know if that is true or not. I'am getting a
greenhouse soon from Kent's, and also I have allot of Topsoil and Peat Moss
and Composted Cow Manure and plenty of lime. Should I grow it in the
greenhouse or out in one of my gardens ? If someone could supply me with
some details on growing it, and what soil and stuff to use, and whether I
use lime or not, and so on, it would be very much appreciated.

So anyone with experience regarding this, please respond to this post. I'am
very grateful.

Thanks to all,

Justin Harding.

Just Molly 11-06-2004 09:47 AM

Growing Tobacco

"Justin Harding" wrote in message
Hello Everyone.

I'am wondering if anyone has any experience growing tobacco here in our
Newfoundland climate.

Have you made a mistook? You have posted to a U.K. i.e. Great Britain
newsgroup. I doubt many of us here would have a clue what the Newfoundland
weather would be like :0)

Nick Maclaren 11-06-2004 09:48 AM

Growing Tobacco

In article eZ4yc.275$sj7.214@newsfe6-win,
Just Molly wrote:

"Justin Harding" wrote in message
Hello Everyone.

I'am wondering if anyone has any experience growing tobacco here in our
Newfoundland climate.

Have you made a mistook? You have posted to a U.K. i.e. Great Britain
newsgroup. I doubt many of us here would have a clue what the Newfoundland
weather would be like :0)

Well, I can't say that I have more than a clue, but I do have a
clue. And the poster was quite wise to post here rather than in
rec.gardens, because a Newfie summer is much closer to ours than
anything 99% of the USA would recognise as a summer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 15-06-2004 01:08 AM

Growing Tobacco

The message
from "Justin Harding" contains these words:

So anyone with experience regarding this, please respond to this post. I'am
very grateful.

I used to grow and cure my own tobacco - until I gave up smoking.

You are a bit late for this year, but you'd get some crop.

Tobacco plants grow like weeds, so don't worry too much about about soil
- as long as other things grow in it.

They tend to blow over quite easily (they grow to six or seven feet), so
are planted (as you say) like corn - that is, maize.

Usually, the leaves are picked when they have reached maximum size, hung
by hooks dug into the stalks and dried in the sun.

Send me your snail-mail (DON'T just hit 'reply'! - use e-addy after the
sig....) and I'll accidentally include some seeds in a letter, along
with instructions for curing your leaves.

I can't guarantee that they'll grow as they are about ten years old -
but they lie dormant in the soil for longer than that, so you should get
some to germinate.

--
Rusty
horrid/squeak snailything zetnet/co\uk