GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Allium Bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/64249-allium-bulbs.html)

Green Goblin 11-06-2004 05:42 PM

Allium Bulbs

Hi,
My allium bulbs, which I planted last autumn, have produced a fine display this spring and have now finished flowering. The question now is what's the best way of keeping the bulbs for next year?" Do I remove all the seedheads to promote bulb growth and should the bulbs be lifted and stored dry until the autumn?
Any thoughts gratefully received!

Bevan Price 11-06-2004 07:08 PM

Allium Bulbs

s.com...
--
Green Goblin

If they are like some of my Alliums (variety uncertain), you will be well advised to remove the seed heads, or in a few
years self-seeded alliums will try to take over the garden. Mine are quite hardy (Lancashire) and re-appear annually
without attention - other than remove dozens of surplus new plants.

Bevan

PK 11-06-2004 08:08 PM

Allium Bulbs

Green Goblin wrote:
Hi,
My allium bulbs, which I planted last autumn, have produced a fine
display this spring and have now finished flowering. The question now
is what's the best way of keeping the bulbs for next year?" Do I
remove all the seedheads to promote bulb growth and should the bulbs
be lifted and stored dry until the autumn?
Any thoughts gratefully received!

Leave em be! they will be very happy and return with new freinds next year!

pk

Brian Watson 12-06-2004 09:04 AM

Allium Bulbs

"PK" wrote in message
Green Goblin wrote:
Hi,
My allium bulbs, which I planted last autumn, have produced a fine
display this spring and have now finished flowering. The question now
is what's the best way of keeping the bulbs for next year?" Do I
remove all the seedheads to promote bulb growth and should the bulbs
be lifted and stored dry until the autumn?
Any thoughts gratefully received!

Leave em be! they will be very happy and return with new freinds next

year!

I'll second that.

--
Brian
"I know about kittens and knitting. Will that do?"