Old 11-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Peter

Default Please help! My Passiflora is poorly.

Location - North Midlands, sheltered corner bed facing South West.
The Passiflora is about two feet from the South facing wall of the
house and close to the West facing party fence.

Last year we allowed it to have its head. As a result the six foot
fence was completely covered for about ten feet. The growth
cascaded down our side and the (friendly) neighbour's side and
flowered profusely. In fact on our side the growth came out from
the fence and completely coverd a generously sized three seater
bench.

Last year the plant was healthy. It threw up suckers as far away as
eight feet from the main plant. Was it happy or trying to escape?

Seriously, as has been out habit we cut back the plant to about
eighteen inches last autumn and protected it with bubble plastic
throughout the winter. Currently the new growth is about fifteen
inches tall and growing fast. However we have a number of normal
looking shoots but an equal number of shoots with much darker and
slightly crumpled leaves. The distant (unwelcome) suckers look
healthy.

Please, can anyone offer suggestions? What should we do? The plant
has not been fed because it has a very extensive root system. I
sprayed the shoots with Malathion a couple of days ago.

We have a postage stamp garden and we would hate to lose this plant.

TIA

Peter

Old 12-06-2004, 10:14 AM
John Edgar

snip

Last year the plant was healthy. It threw up suckers as far away as
eight feet from the main plant. Was it happy or trying to escape?

Seriously, as has been out habit we cut back the plant to about
eighteen inches last autumn and protected it with bubble plastic
throughout the winter. Currently the new growth is about fifteen
inches tall and growing fast. However we have a number of normal
looking shoots but an equal number of shoots with much darker and
slightly crumpled leaves. The distant (unwelcome) suckers look
healthy.

snip

We have had a passiflora for 2 years. Last year it grew like mad,
about 30', no suckers. This year we had a slight amount of die back,
but now it is going mad, new growth and flower buds all over, and no
suckers.

We have an evergree one that is hardy. Maybe you have a non-hardy one.
John
In limine sapientiae
Old 12-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Peter

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:19:00 +0100, John Edgar
wrote:

snip

[...]

Thank you John,

Do I understand that you do not cut back in the late autumn but let
natural die-back do the pruning for you?

Peter

Old 12-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Peter

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:19:00 +0100, John Edgar
wrote:

snip

[...]

Oh! I forgot to ask. In what is wisdom? My latin always was bad and
it has not improved since Kennedy's Primer and I parted company
sixty years ago.

Peter

Old 12-06-2004, 05:03 PM
John Edgar

We have an evergree one that is hardy. Maybe you have a non-hardy one.
John
In limine sapientiae

Thank you John,

Do I understand that you do not cut back in the late autumn but let
natural die-back do the pruning for you?

Peter

We didn't cut it back, just left it to over winter. It is an evergreen
one and meant to be hardy.
John
In limine sapientiae

Old 12-06-2004, 05:05 PM
John Edgar

We have an evergree one that is hardy. Maybe you have a non-hardy one.
John
In limine sapientiae

Oh! I forgot to ask. In what is wisdom? My latin always was bad and
it has not improved since Kennedy's Primer and I parted company
sixty years ago.

Peter

The gateway or portal. It means something like wisdom is the gateway,
or at the gateway is wisdom.
John
In limine sapientiae
Old 12-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Peter

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:14:53 +0100, John Edgar
wrote:

We have an evergree one that is hardy..........
In limine sapientiae

Oh! I forgot to ask. In what is wisdom?........

The gateway or portal. It means something like wisdom is the gateway,
or at the gateway is wisdom.
John
In limine sapientiae

Thank you John.

I do not do credit to my father who gained a first in classics.

Peter