GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Phormium cookianum (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/64364-re-phormium-cookianum.html)

Karl Grave 12-06-2004 10:08 PM

Phormium cookianum

My Phormium cookianum has flowered for the first time. Grown from seed about
8 years ago.
Pix on request (not as impressive as tenax!)

--
Karl Grave
Bingley, "The Throstle Nest of Old England"
"Fred Gibson" wrote in message
Got a flower stalk on mine 10 ft tall,

Janet Baraclough 13-06-2004 08:08 PM

Phormium cookianum

The message
from "Karl Grave" contains these words:

My Phormium cookianum has flowered for the first time. Grown from seed about
8 years ago.
Pix on request (not as impressive as tenax!)

I have two (different) variegated p tenax flowering atm, both about 5
ft high and planted last year (from their B and Q pots). They seem to
flower younger than p tenax but are smaller too of course.

P tenax (both green and purple forms) make gigantic flowers in other
gardens here on Arran. Some seed scavenged from one of last year's p.
purpureum germinated like cress, following someone's germination advice
here on urg. I now have around 30 little p tenax purpureum, about 2"
high; enough to make a stunning hedge..eventually.

Robert, how large do you grow your phormium seedlings to, before
planting out?

Janet (Isle of Arran)