Old 17-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Registered User

Default echiums

Does anyone know of any use for the interestingly curved 'trunk' of the giant echium that grows easily in West Cornwall. Also I read today that a so called record 16 ft plant is in St Ives but I am sure that I had one at least 6 metres (20 ft ) last year which I have some young plants ready to flower next year.
Is there a height record for this mediteranean plant?
Old 21-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Les &/or Claire

supervolt wrote:
Does anyone know of any use for the interestingly curved 'trunk' of
the giant echium that grows easily in West Cornwall. Also I read
today that a so called record 16 ft plant is in St Ives but I am sure
that I had one at least 6 metres (20 ft ) last year which I have some
young plants ready to flower next year.
Is there a height record for this mediteranean plant?

Not sure of the record, but thanks for the reminder. Just de-turfed a new
border and I think I have some seeds somewhere. Should cause a stir in Kent,
i've not seen any here yet.

Les

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep
within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG

Old 21-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Sacha

On 21/6/04 1:08, in article , "Les &/or Claire"
wrote:

supervolt wrote:
Does anyone know of any use for the interestingly curved 'trunk' of
the giant echium that grows easily in West Cornwall. Also I read
today that a so called record 16 ft plant is in St Ives but I am sure
that I had one at least 6 metres (20 ft ) last year which I have some
young plants ready to flower next year.
Is there a height record for this mediteranean plant?

Not sure of the record, but thanks for the reminder. Just de-turfed a new
border and I think I have some seeds somewhere. Should cause a stir in Kent,
i've not seen any here yet.

I've grown them up to 20' at least in Jersey and I'd be very surprised if
they don't go to that or higher on Tresco. Maddeningly, we just can't get
them to do well here, or not outside. They sometimes flower if we get
enough sun for long enough but they don't over winter. The one in a
glasshouse is nearly out through the roof!
I had 3 in my garden in Jersey the last year I was there - the following
spring I had literally hundreds of seedlings - so plant with forethought!
The shrubby Echium fastuosum is also worth growing - there's one of the most
beautiful deep blue just near the Island Hotel on Tresco and we were able to
take some cuttings last year and now just hope ours will flower soon and
give some seed.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk