GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potato flowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/66857-potato-flowers.html)

Pam Moore 21-06-2004 10:47 PM

Potato flowers

Last week I was unable to explain the advantage of removing potato
flowers. Bob Flowerdew mentioned it again on GQT yesterday.
I see the reasoning now. It is to stop the plants putting the energy
into making seeds, in the same way that if you let sweet peas (for
instance) go to seed, you will not get as many flowers.
Removing the flowers lets the plants put all their energy into making
potatoes.
I shall continue to do it!

Pam in Bristol

grayflo 22-06-2004 07:40 PM

Potato flowers

Quote:

Originally posted by Pam Moore
Last week I was unable to explain the advantage of removing potato
flowers. Bob Flowerdew mentioned it again on GQT yesterday.
I see the reasoning now. It is to stop the plants putting the energy
into making seeds, in the same way that if you let sweet peas (for
instance) go to seed, you will not get as many flowers.
Removing the flowers lets the plants put all their energy into making
potatoes.
I shall continue to do it!

Pam in Bristol

I've done this for a few years and, even in very dry summers, I've had good crops of spuds.

TheScullster 28-06-2004 09:06 AM

Potato flowers

When are potatoes ready for digging?
Can I tell by looking at the plants or do I have to trial dig?
Pentland Javelin first earlies if this makes a difference.

TIA

Phil

Nick Maclaren 28-06-2004 11:05 AM

Potato flowers

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:
| When are potatoes ready for digging?
| Can I tell by looking at the plants or do I have to trial dig?
| Pentland Javelin first earlies if this makes a difference.

You have to dig, but need not dig up any plants. Poke around
carefully, and you can replace the soil if they aren't ready.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

kathleen syson 28-06-2004 01:07 PM

Potato flowers

Strange you should ask the question about potatoes. Even as we 'speak' our
family are currently enjoying some Pentland Javelin with chicken and broad
beans.

I believe that first earlies are ready for digging up (or forking up), when
the flowers have withered. However,
the flowers on some of mine haven't fully opened yet; but we needed the
space for the earlier potted sweetcorn. We planted both Rocket and Pentland
Javelin and they are both of a nice size, clean, white and quite delicious.
You can always just fork one plant and see how you go.

Happy eating

Kathie S

TheScullster 30-06-2004 09:05 AM

Potato flowers