GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant, what is it? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/67247-re-plant-what.html)

Jaques d'Alltrades 26-06-2004 12:26 AM

Plant, what is it?

The message v24Ac.62$7h.10@newsfe3-gui
from "Dermuid" contains these words:

Yes, thats what it is all right, I have got a clump of it growing under the
fence from next doors garden, looks like I am going to have some fun trying
to keep it at bay.

Isn't it notifiable?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Kay 26-06-2004 11:48 AM

Plant, what is it?

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message v24Ac.62$7h.10@newsfe3-gui
from "Dermuid" contains these words:

Yes, thats what it is all right, I have got a clump of it growing under the
fence from next doors garden, looks like I am going to have some fun trying
to keep it at bay.

Isn't it notifiable?

What precisely do you mean by notifiable?

Do you mean 'If I find this on my land I have to notify someone of its
presence?' - if so, then the answer is 'no'.

We've been through all this before. There are no notifiable weeds. There
are two Acts covering weeds. Ragwort and a few others come under the
1959 Weeds act, and the DEFRA site says quite specifically
that this doesn't cover weeds growing on a particular plot of land, only
spreading to adjacent land. You don't have to tell anyone if you've got
it.

Giant Hogweed and Japanese Knotweed aren't covered under this Act - they
come under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act, and it's an offence to
let them spread into the wild. But there's nothing to say you need to
notify anyone, or to say that you aren't allowed to grow them on your
own land - provided, of course, you don't let them spread into the wild.

In summary - there is no such thing as a notifiable weed.
--
Kay