GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Aquilegia Seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/67294-re-aquilegia-seeds.html)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 26-06-2004 05:03 AM

Aquilegia Seeds

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article . 12,
Victoria Clare writes
"Joanne" wrote in
:

Do aquilegia come true from seed? I have two different types in my
garden - a dark blue one, and a blue and yellow one.

Usually only if there's only one sort locally,

No I don't think that's true - Nora Barlow types are supposed to come
true from seed and have done so with me, it's the others that seem to
cross pollinate.

I used to have a Nora Barlow type; now I've got some which show the
influence of Nora Barlow in their ancestry.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Stewart Robert Hinsley 26-06-2004 05:03 AM

Aquilegia Seeds

In article , Brian
writes

"ned" wrote in message

"Brian" wrote in message

"Joanne" wrote in message
Do aquilegia come true from seed? I have two different types in

my
garden -
a dark blue one, and a blue and yellow one.

Thanks

-----------------------
Seeds are sexually produced. Nothing can come totally

true
from seeds.

My dandelions seem to come true - year after year after year after
year. :-))

--
ned
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk

Any 'wild' plant will be as nearly pure as can be achieved sexually~~
but they must have variations that might not be all that obvious. Their DNA
would differ. An out-of-space creature probably thinks that all humans are
identical!
Only 'identical twins' have been produced asexually~~as daft as that
seems.
Best Wishes Brian.

Most dandelions are asexual.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Stewart Robert Hinsley 26-06-2004 11:48 AM

Aquilegia Seeds

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article . 12,