Old 26-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Chris Hogg

Default what are your garden pet hates?

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:08:30 +0100, "Just Molly"
wrote:

I hate lawns. Huge expanses of nothingness however well cared for they are.
I also hate neatly cut edges and borders with alternating blue and white
lobelia and red salvias.

Gnomes

--
Chris

Old 26-06-2004, 11:55 AM
PK

Just Molly wrote:
I hate lawns. Huge expanses of nothingness however well cared for
they are. I also hate neatly cut edges and borders with alternating
blue and white lobelia and red salvias.

other peoples cats!

pk

Old 26-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Rod

wrote:

I hate lawns. Huge expanses of nothingness however well cared for they are.
I also hate neatly cut edges and borders with alternating blue and white
lobelia and red salvias.

Decking, mutilated trees and exessive statuary or other non-living
ornamentation - especially cheap nasty pastiche, small scale
imitations of the exesses of the wealthy are always tacky. Oh, and
anything 'fashionable' a garden should transcend passing fads. Notice
I haven't mentioned any plants - most have their place somewhere
though there's a lot I wouldn't choose to grow. I reserve the right
to dislike or even hate the way they get used sometimes though.
Rod

Weed my address to reply

Old 26-06-2004, 11:55 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message Nw0Dc.68$6r.49@newsfe2-win, Just Molly
writes
I hate lawns.

I've just been pulling off yet more plain branches from a supposedly
variegated shrub which as soon as it left the nursery decided it was
time to revert to its true colour. ((

--
dave @ stejonda
Bring culture back to NTL.
Old 26-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Ian Cox

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:08:30 +0100, Just Molly wrote:

I hate lawns. Huge expanses of nothingness however well cared for they are.
I also hate neatly cut edges and borders with alternating blue and white
lobelia and red salvias.

An old workmate of mine had loads of plastic flowers in his back
garden.

Yuk! :O}

--
Ian Cox
Sutton-in-Ashfield
Old 26-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Klara

In message , Ian Cox
writes
An old workmate of mine had loads of plastic flowers in his back
garden.

Yuk! :O}

Didn't Richard Nixon 'improve' the White House garden with the addition
of lots of plastic rhododendrons?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 26-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Kay

In article , Dave Poole
writes

Any shrubby Potentilla, any Hypericum apart from 'Rowallane', shrubby
Cotoneasters (esp. and including horizontalis and the myriad,
desperately dull forms of microphyllus), hybrid tea roses and Salix
caprea 'Pendula' (Kilmarnock willow). Oh and I forgot, add to this,
large exhibition type Dahlias & Chrysanths and the big flowered (Edna
Everage type!) gladioli.

Now your style of gardening is very different from mine, and yet I share
all those hates!

I wonder whether in fact we're doing the same thing but with different
palettes - you are creating a jungle paradise with tender plants and
choice species, I am creating a jungle (less of the paradise) with
native plants and with species that flourish in shady wet clay and slug
heaven.
--
Kay

Old 26-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Kay

In article , Brian Watson
writes

"Just Molly" wrote in message
I hate lawns. Huge expanses of nothingness however well cared for they

are.
I also hate neatly cut edges and borders with alternating blue and white
lobelia and red salvias.

I have taken up all my lawns as I no longer see the point of growing work.

I have an intense antipathy to ivy, but am winning on that front at the
moment, and bindweed comes a close second.

Oh, bindweed's OK, especially if you are lucky enough to have the one
with big pink striped flowers instead of white. And it's very satisfying
to pull out whole tangled ropes of it.

The little scented pink bindweed is lovely.
--
Kay

Old 26-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Dave Poole

Kay wrote:

Now your style of gardening is very different from mine, and yet I share
all those hates!

I wonder whether in fact we're doing the same thing but with different
palettes - you are creating a jungle paradise with tender plants and
choice species, I am creating a jungle (less of the paradise) with
native plants and with species that flourish in shady wet clay and slug
heaven.

I suspect we are doing much the same Kay. I love the jungly, lush,
slightly unkempt look where bold and interesting, 'in-yer-face' plants
reign supreme. I loathe prissy, bitty plantings and typical municipal
schemes (muncipal screams - a term I inadvertently coined after a few
pints!) using ubiquitous plants. Ironically, I also like very well
executed formal gardens, but they have to have the 'tropical look' to
get my wholehearted approval.

To give you an idea; I yearn to have a garden where I can have a very
long (120ft. plus, wide, canal-like pool, set within an avenue of
tall, trunked palms such as Phoenix or even Rhopalostylis, these
underplanted just one variety/species of Hedychium or Canna. The
whole would be surrounded with perfect, tightly mown turf, but at the
edges, informal mixed herbaceous-style borders stuffed with all manner
of exotics. The climate in the far south can support this, but cost
of a property in the right spot with the right amount of land would be
desperately prohibitive.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Drop 's' when mailing
Old 26-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Franz Heymann

"Just Molly" wrote in message
I hate lawns. Huge expanses of nothingness however well cared for

they are.
I also hate neatly cut edges and borders with alternating blue and

white
lobelia and red salvias.

Agreed. Add decking, fencing painted in saturated colours and gaily
painted baubles on sticks

Franz

Old 26-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Tumbleweed

"Just Molly" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message

"Just Molly" wrote in message
: I hate lawns. Huge expanses of nothingness however well cared for they
are.
: I also hate neatly cut edges and borders with alternating blue and

white
: lobelia and red salvias.
:
Carrot fly, cabbage root fly and cabbage club root disease

Hmmm, this isn't working very well is it? I didn't really mean what

garden
pests don't you like as nobody likes garden pests. I *meant* what garden
features or plant do you dislike. You know how you drive past a garden and
think, oh that's just *awful* to look at. or bloody hell how naff, or My

god
are they *colour blind*!

You said what are your garden PET (my emphasis) hates
:-)

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 26-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Sue

I have a small garden so my pet hate is bare soil!

Sue

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
cats

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

---

Old 26-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Janet Baraclough

Plastic. Including white and "terracotta" plastic planters, brightly
coloured plastic toys, plastic furniture and fences, plastic plates on
the plastic table, plastic mini-marquees. Plastic raincovers on plastic
or wooden garden furniture. Plastic herons, plastic gnomes, plastic
bunnies, plastic foxes, plastic ducks, plastic ponds with the plastic
showing...

Janet.