GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Globe Artichokes was Globe Articokes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/67374-globe-artichokes-globe-articokes.html)

The Reids 26-06-2004 11:55 AM

Globe Artichokes was Globe Articokes

Following up to The Reids

at this time of year for the 2 years i've been growing a fair
amount of the mainly older foliage collapses, is this normal or
do they need more water?

rewritten in english
At this time of year, my 2 year old artichoke bed suffers from
collapsing branches and sometimes whole plants. Is this normal or
am I doing something wrong?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso

Stephen Howard 26-06-2004 11:55 AM

Globe Artichokes was Globe Articokes

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:55:28 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

Following up to The Reids

at this time of year for the 2 years i've been growing a fair
amount of the mainly older foliage collapses, is this normal or
do they need more water?

rewritten in english
At this time of year, my 2 year old artichoke bed suffers from
collapsing branches and sometimes whole plants. Is this normal or
am I doing something wrong?

The globe arti usually flowers in its second year - so it ought to be
in fine shape.
I wonder if perhaps the roots aren't being attacked.

Try scrabbling around in the soil at the base of the plant - around
now is the time to find various nasty grubs emerging that feed at root
level.

Water shouldn't be a problem for these plants - they're tap rooted,
and after a full year's growth should have a sizeable root that
reaches right down into the subsoil.

Regard,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk