Old 27-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

Default Sigh

Well, in one night, the slugs wiped out my entire veggie patch. All I
have left are the parsnips, the tomatoes and the two vines. All the
rest is gone, gone, gone.

The good news however is that the patch at the front of the house
where I have my strawberries and herbs is still intact and hasn't been
eaten at all since I started chucking the orange peels in there.

Sigh, back to the drawing board, I guess I'd best start looking at
eating 4 oranges a day and seeing if I can get any winter crops
sown/planted this year.

Excuse me while I sit in the corner weeping.

--
"My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night
but ah my foes and oh my friends -- it gives a lovely light"
Old 27-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Broadback

Gwenhyffar Milgi wrote:

Well, in one night, the slugs wiped out my entire veggie patch. All I
have left are the parsnips, the tomatoes and the two vines. All the
rest is gone, gone, gone.

The good news however is that the patch at the front of the house
where I have my strawberries and herbs is still intact and hasn't been
eaten at all since I started chucking the orange peels in there.

Sigh, back to the drawing board, I guess I'd best start looking at
eating 4 oranges a day and seeing if I can get any winter crops
sown/planted this year.

Excuse me while I sit in the corner weeping.

My heart goes out to you, that is just how I feel about my cauliflowers,
voratious slubs where you are, that's for sure.
Old 27-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Rod

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:09:29 +0100, Gwenhyffar Milgi
wrote:

The good news however is that the patch at the front of the house
where I have my strawberries and herbs is still intact and hasn't been
eaten at all since I started chucking the orange peels in there.

Sigh, back to the drawing board, I guess I'd best start looking at
eating 4 oranges a day and seeing if I can get any winter crops
sown/planted this year.

Excuse me while I sit in the corner weeping.

Reminds me of when I was working on a large rose nursery, we used to
maintain the boss's garden and he was the tightest man I knew, they
didn't have bog rolls in that house, they used orange wrappers and I
remember wishing I could afford to buy that many oranges ;~(
I'm wondering if you might be planting out some of your veg before
it's hardened off properly? I don't sow very many crops direct these
days, things like brassicas I do in plug trays, then when they are
nearly ready for planting I put them outside surrounded by a slug
barrier on some sort of slug proof ground cover if they aren't on the
standing ground, don't plant until they've been there long enough to
get a bit tough. Peas are sown in multipurpose compost in short
lengths of plastic rainwater guttering, again they are slid out into
drills when the plants have got a little bit tough.
Still time to get in swedes, winter caulis, spring cabbage etc and
later on you can be planting garlic and even later overwintering broad
beans, they'll all be just a nice size for the voles by christmas.
Rod

Weed my address to reply

Old 27-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:42:43 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Gwenhyffar Milgi wrote:

Well, in one night, the slugs wiped out my entire veggie patch. All I
have left are the parsnips, the tomatoes and the two vines. All the
rest is gone, gone, gone.

The good news however is that the patch at the front of the house
where I have my strawberries and herbs is still intact and hasn't been
eaten at all since I started chucking the orange peels in there.

Sigh, back to the drawing board, I guess I'd best start looking at
eating 4 oranges a day and seeing if I can get any winter crops
sown/planted this year.

Excuse me while I sit in the corner weeping.

My heart goes out to you, that is just how I feel about my cauliflowers,
voratious slubs where you are, that's for sure.

Yeah, they are, and there are loads of them. And since I've decided
not to use poison, I'm going to have to find some other way to deal
with them.

Right, where's that fridge full of oranges again?

Old 27-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:45:04 +0100, Rod
wrote:

I'm wondering if you might be planting out some of your veg before
it's hardened off properly? I don't sow very many crops direct these
days, things like brassicas I do in plug trays, then when they are
nearly ready for planting I put them outside surrounded by a slug
barrier on some sort of slug proof ground cover if they aren't on the
standing ground, don't plant until they've been there long enough to
get a bit tough. Peas are sown in multipurpose compost in short
lengths of plastic rainwater guttering, again they are slid out into
drills when the plants have got a little bit tough.
Still time to get in swedes, winter caulis, spring cabbage etc and
later on you can be planting garlic and even later overwintering broad
beans, they'll all be just a nice size for the voles by christmas.

Well, I have some left over roofing felt, you know the stuff? I was
just sitting here wondering if that might deter the slugs if I put it
around my plants, because it's got those little gravel sharp thingies
on it that really damages your hands if you don't wear gloves while
handling it.

Old 27-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Ivanna Humpalot

wrote:

Gwenhyffar Milgi wrote:

[...]

Oranges, never heard of that one!!!!!!

See my post on "slug deterrent non lethal"
Old 27-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:11:17 +0100, Ivanna Humpalot
wrote:

Oranges, never heard of that one!!!!!!

See my post on "slug deterrent non lethal"

Well, it does work. I started using orange peel two or three weeks ago
in one part of my garden to see if it worked. In the veggie patch I
used commercially produced non-toxic slug deterrant.

Whereas before my herbs and strawberries were under constant attack by
slugs, they now feast on the pith of the oranges and leave the other
plants in that part of the garden alone.

They seem to prefer pith to plants.

Old 27-06-2004, 08:29 PM
nambucca

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote in message
news
Well, in one night, the slugs wiped out my entire veggie patch. All I
have left are the parsnips, the tomatoes and the two vines. All the
rest is gone, gone, gone.

The good news however is that the patch at the front of the house
where I have my strawberries and herbs is still intact and hasn't been
eaten at all since I started chucking the orange peels in there.

Sigh, back to the drawing board, I guess I'd best start looking at
eating 4 oranges a day and seeing if I can get any winter crops
sown/planted this year.

Excuse me while I sit in the corner weeping.

--
"My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night
but ah my foes and oh my friends -- it gives a lovely light"

My Son in law swears by those sunken Slug beer traps .........says otherwise
he too would loose his crops

Old 27-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:19:53 +0000 (UTC), "nambucca"
wrote:

[...]

I have them. They get some of the slugs, but evidently not all.

Old 27-06-2004, 08:38 PM
sarah

wrote:

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote in message
news
Well, in one night, the slugs wiped out my entire veggie patch. All I
have left are the parsnips, the tomatoes and the two vines. All the
rest is gone, gone, gone.

The good news however is that the patch at the front of the house
where I have my strawberries and herbs is still intact and hasn't been
eaten at all since I started chucking the orange peels in there.

Sigh, back to the drawing board, I guess I'd best start looking at
eating 4 oranges a day and seeing if I can get any winter crops
sown/planted this year.

Excuse me while I sit in the corner weeping.

My Son in law swears by those sunken Slug beer traps .........says otherwise
he too would loose his crops

I have them. They get some of the slugs, but evidently not all.

Yes. Even with beer traps I've found that things that slugs/snails like
best are worth sowing in pots/rootrainers and grown on until they're
large enough that a slug can't take them out in a night or two before
planting out. I lost so many climbing beans last year... I also
regularly go out last thing at night with a torch and sharp knife to
kill any mollusc I see on or near my vegetables.

Now the pigeons have started on the broccoli. And the cabbage whites.
Nature red in tooth and claw. Ha. Nature with green stains around its
mouthparts, more like :-)))

regards
sarah

--
NB. Note change of *usenet* email address:
'amitiel.demon.do.uk' will soon cease to function.

Old 27-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Kay

In article , Gwenhyffar
Milgi writes
Well, in one night, the slugs wiped out my entire veggie patch. All I
have left are the parsnips, the tomatoes and the two vines. All the
rest is gone, gone, gone.

The good news however is that the patch at the front of the house
where I have my strawberries and herbs is still intact and hasn't been
eaten at all since I started chucking the orange peels in there.

Sigh, back to the drawing board, I guess I'd best start looking at
eating 4 oranges a day and seeing if I can get any winter crops
sown/planted this year.

Excuse me while I sit in the corner weeping.

Broad beans and radishes seem not to be touched by slugs. Peas aren't
too bad. Dwarf french beans are a waste of time, but climbing french and
runner may be all right if you start them off indoors and plant out at
18 inches to 2ft. Chives are fine so maybe onions and leeks are worth a
try.

Potatoes and jerusalem artichokes are fine.

Or you could rely on farmers markets and local organic suppliers for eg,
and concentrate on fruit, which is in any case a lot dearer to buy.
Loganberries, gooseberries, alpine strawberries, rhubarb are untroubled
by slugs and expensive or impossible to buy. And they need a lot less
work than veg.

--
Kay

Old 27-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Broadback

Kay wrote:

Broad beans and radishes seem not to be touched by slugs.

Kay, send me some of your slugs and I'll breed them with mine, then
perhaps mine won't eat radishes then! :-)
Old 27-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Bob Hobden

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote ...
Well, in one night, the slugs wiped out my entire veggie patch. All I
have left are the parsnips, the tomatoes and the two vines. All the
rest is gone, gone, gone.

The good news however is that the patch at the front of the house
where I have my strawberries and herbs is still intact and hasn't been
eaten at all since I started chucking the orange peels in there.

Sigh, back to the drawing board, I guess I'd best start looking at
eating 4 oranges a day and seeing if I can get any winter crops
sown/planted this year.

Excuse me while I sit in the corner weeping.

I feel for you but it's not too late to start some things again.
With us it's more likely to be vandals on the allotments or recently a very
well spoken woman who lets her large dog run about on our plots destroying
our onion/shallot/garlic bed especially and peeing on everything.
I've asked her not to once and my friends at the Swan Sanctuary have asked
her in a civilised manner twice recently. Last night they said to her " You
obviously don't understand pleasant requests so F--- O-- right now!". Some
people just have no thought for others.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 27-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Nick Maclaren

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:41:13 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote ...
Well, in one night, the slugs wiped out my entire veggie patch. All I
have left are the parsnips, the tomatoes and the two vines. All the
rest is gone, gone, gone.

The good news however is that the patch at the front of the house
where I have my strawberries and herbs is still intact and hasn't been
eaten at all since I started chucking the orange peels in there.

Sigh, back to the drawing board, I guess I'd best start looking at
eating 4 oranges a day and seeing if I can get any winter crops
sown/planted this year.

Excuse me while I sit in the corner weeping.

I feel for you but it's not too late to start some things again.
With us it's more likely to be vandals on the allotments or recently a very
well spoken woman who lets her large dog run about on our plots destroying
our onion/shallot/garlic bed especially and peeing on everything.

Given the fact you're an obnoxious little shit, I'd consider yourself
very lucky. You could live near me, then you'd be up shit creek.

I've asked her not to once and my friends at the Swan Sanctuary have asked
her in a civilised manner twice recently. Last night they said to her " You
obviously don't understand pleasant requests so F--- O-- right now!". Some
people just have no thought for others.

Indeed. If you said that here that would be a death wish, it would be
granted very swiftly.

Old 28-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Kay

In article , Broadback
writes
Kay wrote:

Broad beans and radishes seem not to be touched by slugs.

Kay, send me some of your slugs and I'll breed them with mine, then
perhaps mine won't eat radishes then! :-)

OK, I accept that they nibble the shoulders of the radishes, but they
don't seem to go for the leaves.

--
Kay

Frosted Dahlias Jenny Gardening 4 05-05-2005 10:58 PM
Sigh Gwenhyffar Milgi United Kingdom 13 27-06-2004 08:04 PM
**sigh** *muffin* Ponds 1 20-07-2003 07:22 PM
Yet another algea question... (sigh) Mathias Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 07:08 AM
*sigh* My Poor Blue Girls... Susan H. Simko Roses 0 11-04-2003 04:08 PM