GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hedgehogs info please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/67453-hedgehogs-info-please.html)

nambucca 27-06-2004 07:29 PM

Hedgehogs info please

Last year a Hedgehog made a nest at the base of one of my Bamboo plants and
had 3 babies but one day i found the nest disturbed and the 3 babies lying
dead

Now theres a new nest and i can see mum curled up at the mouth of it

Is there any way I can protect her without upsetting her ........still
trying to fathom what caused the problem last year

Rats? Fox ?

Eric Shune 27-06-2004 07:38 PM

Hedgehogs info please

"nambucca" wrote in message
Last year a Hedgehog made a nest at the base of one of my Bamboo plants

and
had 3 babies but one day i found the nest disturbed and the 3 babies lying
dead

Now theres a new nest and i can see mum curled up at the mouth of it

Is there any way I can protect her without upsetting her ........still
trying to fathom what caused the problem last year

Rats? Fox ?

you forgot..........humans..........

Sally Thompson 27-06-2004 07:42 PM

Hedgehogs info please

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:18:34 +0000 (UTC), "nambucca"
wrote:

Last year a Hedgehog made a nest at the base of one of my Bamboo plants and
had 3 babies but one day i found the nest disturbed and the 3 babies lying
dead

Now theres a new nest and i can see mum curled up at the mouth of it

Is there any way I can protect her without upsetting her ........still
trying to fathom what caused the problem last year

Rats? Fox ?

It could be badgers - they take out hedgehogs. You could perhaps
contact the British Hedgehog Preservation Society for advice:
http://www.software-technics.com/bhps
Address: Hedgehog House, Dhustone, Ludlow, SY8 3PL.
Phone: 01584-890801.

Email is , but their web site says,
oddly, *N.B. We have to send email enquiries by post so they take
about a week*, so you might be better off phoning.
HTH

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
bed and breakfast near Ludlow:

Bob Hobden 27-06-2004 07:44 PM

Hedgehogs info please

"nambucca" wrote in message
Last year a Hedgehog made a nest at the base of one of my Bamboo plants

and
had 3 babies but one day i found the nest disturbed and the 3 babies lying
dead

Now theres a new nest and i can see mum curled up at the mouth of it

Is there any way I can protect her without upsetting her ........still
trying to fathom what caused the problem last year

Rats? Fox ?

Probably Fox, may I suggest you contact St Tiggywinkles Animal Hospital

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

Experts in all things Hedgehog who should be able to guide you.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Spider 28-06-2004 05:09 PM

Hedgehogs info please

nambucca wrote in message
Last year a Hedgehog made a nest at the base of one of my Bamboo plants

and
had 3 babies but one day i found the nest disturbed and the 3 babies lying
dead

Now theres a new nest and i can see mum curled up at the mouth of it

Is there any way I can protect her without upsetting her ........still
trying to fathom what caused the problem last year

Rats? Fox ?

Hi Nambucca,
Last year's mum may have been hit by a car while out foraging. The babies
would have died of starvation. If a fox had been involved, it would
probably have returned for the babies.
You could help this year's mother by putting out cat food and fresh water,
so that she can replenish her energy without foraging too far away from the
nest. You can *definitely* help her by not using slug pellets.
Spider

Bob Hobden 28-06-2004 05:09 PM

Hedgehogs info please

"Spider" wrote in reply to
nambucca ...
[...]

Care re putting out cat food for the hedgehogs, it's how we got our last
cat, a stray that decided the food was good enough for him to stay and make
himself comfortable. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Sacha 28-06-2004 05:11 PM

Hedgehogs info please

On 28/6/04 4:16 pm, in article ,
"Spider" wrote:
snip
Last year's mum may have been hit by a car while out foraging. The babies
would have died of starvation. If a fox had been involved, it would
probably have returned for the babies.
You could help this year's mother by putting out cat food and fresh water,
so that she can replenish her energy without foraging too far away from the
nest. You can *definitely* help her by not using slug pellets.

When we put out cat food for a hedgehog, a fox ate it (the cat food, I
mean!). So probably don't put it too close to her nest!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

B Z Bee 28-06-2004 06:05 PM

Hedgehogs info please

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:07:10 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 28/6/04 4:16 pm, in article ,
"Spider" wrote:
snip
Last year's mum may have been hit by a car while out foraging. The babies
would have died of starvation. If a fox had been involved, it would
probably have returned for the babies.
You could help this year's mother by putting out cat food and fresh water,
so that she can replenish her energy without foraging too far away from the
nest. You can *definitely* help her by not using slug pellets.

When we put out cat food for a hedgehog, a fox ate it (the cat food, I
mean!). So probably don't put it too close to her nest!

Put in a brick/slab tunnel or something to limit access. Though we
also feed our dear South London foxes, you do need to ensure fair
shares all round.

Stephen Howard 28-06-2004 07:11 PM

Hedgehogs info please

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:30:36 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Spider" wrote in reply to
nambucca ...
[...]

The trick, apparently, is to place a lid ( such as a saucer ) over the
food.
The cat is either too weak or stupid to overcome this little puzzle -
whilst the hedgehog ( being the Gordon Brown of small mammals ) will
shove the lid aside, eat the food, and probably crap in the dish by
way of thanks.

Worked for me and my clan of hogs!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Douglas 30-06-2004 12:09 AM

Hedgehogs info please

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:30:36 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Spider" wrote in reply to
nambucca ...