Old 27-06-2004, 08:47 PM
Steve @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Default Blossom end rot

Is it me or the bad growing year we seam to be having..

I am getting about 30-40% of my tomato fruit suffering from blossom end rot.
I never had it this bad before, the pots never dry out, I am doing
everything the same as I did last year. Last year we had a great crop, so
much in fact the frozen processed toms lasted until Feb this year.

I am at a loss on where I am going wrong.. all the books say its due to the
pots drying out, but I have never let them dry out..
Any ideas

Thanks
Steve
www.ukstorms.com & www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Old 27-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Steve @
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk writes
Is it me or the bad growing year we seam to be having..

I am getting about 30-40% of my tomato fruit suffering from blossom end rot.
I never had it this bad before, the pots never dry out, I am doing
everything the same as I did last year. Last year we had a great crop, so
much in fact the frozen processed toms lasted until Feb this year.

I am at a loss on where I am going wrong.. all the books say its due to the
pots drying out, but I have never let them dry out..
Any ideas

Without drying out, erratic watering of tomatoes can result in blossom
end rot. If it's any consolation, the rot is not a disease and steady
applications of sufficient water will clear the condition up in later
crops. I soak ours with a fine spray each morning.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 28-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Bob Hobden

"Steve wrote...
Is it me or the bad growing year we seam to be having..

I am getting about 30-40% of my tomato fruit suffering from blossom end

rot.
I never had it this bad before, the pots never dry out, I am doing
everything the same as I did last year. Last year we had a great crop, so
much in fact the frozen processed toms lasted until Feb this year.

I am at a loss on where I am going wrong.. all the books say its due to

the
pots drying out, but I have never let them dry out..
Any ideas

It's caused by an inability of the plant to take up calcium and this is
normally caused by lack of water but can also caused by an acid growing
medium.
Is your's acid perhaps and are you watering wilt soft water as well?

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 28-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Sue da Nimm

I've got the same problem, and so has my neighbour.
Neither of us has changed our growing methods and we NEVER let the plants
dry out.
We both grow in pots standing in gravel trays. We feed from the top and
water from the bottom. The trays are never dry.
This is the worst year either of us have ever known for this problem - we
have lost virtually every fruit on the first truss, although the fruit on
the upper trusses appears to be clear.

Old 28-06-2004, 04:13 PM
redclay

Sue da Nimm . wrote in message
[...]

Other books say it is a lack of MG, magnesium, or CA, calcium, or both. Try
watering with a high powered liquid fertilizer like Miracle Gro or
something. Could be the soil in the pot is "washed out".

Old 28-06-2004, 09:14 PM

"redclay" wrote in message

Sue da Nimm . wrote in message
[...]

I have used new soil as I always do, in buckets with drip feed and water,
changed nothing in my method and as I said I am getting quite a problem.. I
going to go with the bad year excuse I think. On the other hand my cucumbers
have gone mad, most of the locals are now getting quite used to the weekly
free supply.. I have never had it so good on the cucumber stakes.
Thanks for the replys
Steve

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 09:56 PM
How much lime to treat blossom end rot? [email protected] Gardening 26 28-07-2004 08:02 PM
Tomato brownish ends NOT BLOSSOM END ROT Dan Edible Gardening 2 28-07-2004 07:02 PM
tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (thanks) Lynn Coffelt Edible Gardening 3 12-05-2003 04:32 AM
tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (long) Frogleg Edible Gardening 3 01-05-2003 05:32 AM