Old 28-06-2004, 12:07 AM
Juco

Default Leylandi

I have a Leylandi hedge which I keep to about 2 metres high, but over the
years it has slowly increased in width (about 4 feet) I would like to reduce
the width but realise this will take the greenery away, Question is... will
it recover the greenery in a slimmer format and if so how long would this
take.

thanks

Old 28-06-2004, 12:07 AM
PK

Juco wrote:
I have a Leylandi hedge which I keep to about 2 metres high, but over
the years it has slowly increased in width (about 4 feet) I would
like to reduce the width but realise this will take the greenery
away, Question is... will it recover the greenery in a slimmer format
and if so how long would this take.

thanks

No it won't! Once you cut back into the olde brown growth it will stay bead
and brown!

pk

Old 28-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Emrys Davies

'Juco',

Some really valid information he

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile..._leylandii.asp

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 28-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Sacha

On 27/6/04 11:56 pm, in article ,
"Juco" wrote:

I have a Leylandi hedge which I keep to about 2 metres high, but over the
years it has slowly increased in width (about 4 feet) I would like to reduce
the width but realise this will take the greenery away, Question is... will
it recover the greenery in a slimmer format and if so how long would this
take.

Once you cut leylandii back to the old wood, it won't re-grow and you end up
with horrible brown spindly bits. It will only go on getting thicker so you
might want to consider taking it out and re-planting with something that is
easier to keep in shape and size.
I took out a leylandii hedge and gained at least 6' of garden and a lot more
light and 'plantable' soil.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Harry12

Juco wrote:
I have a Leylandi hedge which I keep to about 2 metres high, but over the
years it has slowly increased in width (about 4 feet) I would like to reduce
the width but realise this will take the greenery away, Question is... will
it recover the greenery in a slimmer format and if so how long would this
take.

thanks

From experience, I can tell you that the best height to prune Leylandii
is just level with the ground.

Harry

Old 28-06-2004, 03:10 PM
nambucca

"Harry12" wrote in message
Juco wrote:
I have a Leylandi hedge which I keep to about 2 metres high, but over

the
years it has slowly increased in width (about 4 feet) I would like to

reduce
the width but realise this will take the greenery away, Question is...

will
it recover the greenery in a slimmer format and if so how long would

this
take.

thanks

From experience, I can tell you that the best height to prune Leylandii
is just level with the ground.

Harry

I'll second that !!!

Old 28-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Kay

In article %8WDc.1338$Dq1.1185@newsfe6-win, Just Molly
writes

"nambucca" wrote in message

"Harry12" wrote in message

From experience, I can tell you that the best height to prune Leylandii
is just level with the ground.

Harry

I'll second that !!!

I'll 3rd it!

Living as I do next door to a church which has more than a passing
resemblance to a giant warehouse, 15ft high is not too tall. Just
because something isn't a good idea in one place doesn't mean to say
that it is *always* wrong.

--
Kay

Old 28-06-2004, 10:11 PM

In article , Juco
writes
I have a Leylandi hedge which I keep to about 2 metres high, but over the
years it has slowly increased in width (about 4 feet) I would like to reduce
the width but realise this will take the greenery away, Question is... will
it recover the greenery in a slimmer format and if so how long would this
take.

From experience (which is rare amongst the Leylandii knockers) you can
get away with it so far, some of the ones that you see where they have
been cut right back to the trunk stand no chance at all of regrowing but
you can trim back a fair way and still get growth. I have cut back a
neighbours 25 footers to 10' and they carried on like nothing had
happened, my current next door neighbour reduced the size of his hedge
from 6' to 3', realised he had made a mistake and let them grow to
5'again which they have done quite happily. I've reduced the thickness
of mine a couple of times with no ill effect but I have not cut back too
close to the centre, try cutting back say 6" from either side and see
how that goes

--
David
Old 28-06-2004, 10:13 PM
ned

wrote in message
In article , Juco
writes
I have a Leylandi hedge which I keep to about 2 metres high, but

over the
years it has slowly increased in width (about 4 feet) I would like

to reduce
the width but realise this will take the greenery away, Question

is... will
it recover the greenery in a slimmer format and if so how long

would this
take.

From experience (which is rare amongst the Leylandii knockers) you

can
get away with it so far, some of the ones that you see where they

have
been cut right back to the trunk stand no chance at all of regrowing

but
you can trim back a fair way and still get growth. I have cut back a
neighbours 25 footers to 10' and they carried on like nothing had
happened, my current next door neighbour reduced the size of his

hedge
from 6' to 3', realised he had made a mistake and let them grow to
5'again which they have done quite happily. I've reduced the

thickness
of mine a couple of times with no ill effect but I have not cut back

too
close to the centre, try cutting back say 6" from either side and

see
how that goes

...... and I will second that!
When we gave shelter to our homeless daughter, part of her
accoutrements turned out to be three goats. These quickly became five
goats. And I was to learn that while sheep graze, goats browse - up to
five feet high! The effect on the leylandii was, well devastating. The
goats didn't get back to the trunk but devoured all the greenery
within reach. It took two years for the hedge to recover but it is now
as good as (maybe better than) new.

--
ned
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk

Leylandi swampydrill Gardening 0 24-05-2007 09:15 PM
what plants will grow in leylandi soil? ambermeta United Kingdom 10 11-08-2004 09:59 AM
Cutting Leylandi Charlie United Kingdom 31 20-04-2003 12:44 AM
in defense of leylandi hayley United Kingdom 7 16-04-2003 10:56 PM
Advice sought on employing tree surgeon to lop Leylandi Simon United Kingdom 1 18-03-2003 06:08 PM