GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   iris cuniculiformis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/67601-iris-cuniculiformis.html)

SusieThompson 29-06-2004 07:16 PM

iris cuniculiformis

I've just bought one of the above out of curiosity - the plantsman I
bought it from hasn't seen it flower yet. Can anybody tell me what to
expect? Thanks.

--
Susie Thompson
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to

IntarsiaCo 29-06-2004 08:17 PM

iris cuniculiformis

Can anybody tell me what to
expect?

Found in Yunnan Province above 10000 feet in grassy meadows with spring
moisture, hot dry summers and cold winters in well drained soil. A
Pseudoregalia iris, clump forming, narrow leaves and flower stems 12 inches or
more. The flower has purple falls with dark blue and white markings, beard
should be yellowish-white. This may be quite difficult in cultivation. Good
luck.

SusieThompson 29-06-2004 08:17 PM

iris cuniculiformis

In message , IntarsiaCo
writes
Can anybody tell me what to
expect?

Found in Yunnan Province above 10000 feet in grassy meadows with spring
moisture, hot dry summers and cold winters in well drained soil. A
Pseudoregalia iris, clump forming, narrow leaves and flower stems 12 inches or
more. The flower has purple falls with dark blue and white markings, beard
should be yellowish-white. This may be quite difficult in cultivation. Good
luck.

I bought the iris at gardens near Aviemore, up here in Scotland. Not
quite above 10000 feet though. Arran will almost certainly provide
spring moisture and cold winters, but as for the hot dry summers,
here's hoping ;-) You've given me a good idea of the sort of conditions
it needs - thank you very much. I'll plant it tomorrow, and then just
wait and see.

Susie Thompson

--
Susie Thompson, Isle of Arran