Old 29-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Joanne

Default Flagging Borders

My mixed border is lacking pizzaz at the moment. I'm anticipating lots of
colour from late summer into autumn (sedum, rudbeckia, aster, anenome,
echinacea, verbena bonariensis), but it's become glaringly obvious that I've
not planted anything for this time of year.

So, what colourful perennials are in full bloom in your gardens right now
(particularly in North West England)?

Many Thanks

Old 30-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Bob Hobden

"Joanne" wrote ...
My mixed border is lacking pizzaz at the moment. I'm anticipating lots of
colour from late summer into autumn (sedum, rudbeckia, aster, anenome,
echinacea, verbena bonariensis), but it's become glaringly obvious that

I've
not planted anything for this time of year.

So, what colourful perennials are in full bloom in your gardens right now
(particularly in North West England)?

Lilies various*
Penstemon various * (perennial with me)
Verbascum chauxii "Album"
Geranium various*
Alstroemeria various (get the taller ones for the garden)*
Bletilla striata
Agapanthus (about to break open)

and I've marked the ones I think would be flowering for you too. The
Alstroemeria are excellent value plants, flower from May through to the
frost.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 30-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Kay

In article SqlEc.70$tH6.7@newsfe5-win, Joanne
writes
My mixed border is lacking pizzaz at the moment. I'm anticipating lots of
colour from late summer into autumn (sedum, rudbeckia, aster, anenome,
echinacea, verbena bonariensis), but it's become glaringly obvious that I've
not planted anything for this time of year.

So, what colourful perennials are in full bloom in your gardens right now
(particularly in North West England)?

Most of my garden is pink (roses) and white (mock orange) atm ;-)

The colour is provided by iris (I have yellow flag and foetidissima),
hardy geraniums, Lychnis coronaria and chalcedonica, Cistus, Centranthus
ruber. Oriental poppies are just over. This is Leeds, not NW, but a
shady garden so probably not much different in terms of dampness/dryness
of soil and overall temperature atm.

--
Kay

Old 30-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message SqlEc.70$tH6.7@newsfe5-win
from "Joanne" contains these words:

My mixed border is lacking pizzaz at the moment. I'm anticipating lots of
colour from late summer into autumn (sedum, rudbeckia, aster, anenome,
echinacea, verbena bonariensis), but it's become glaringly obvious that I've
not planted anything for this time of year.

So, what colourful perennials are in full bloom in your gardens right now
(particularly in North West England)?

Many Thanks

As well as what has already been mentioned, one or two yellow to orange
Kniphofias, especially 'Shining Sceptre', day lillies of various
colours, Dierama, Inula, Campanula persicifolia. (South Lincolnshire)

Janet G
Old 30-06-2004, 01:09 AM
nambucca

"Kay" wrote in message
[...]

I have Delphiniums and Penstemons in flower

Old 30-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message SqlEc.70$tH6.7@newsfe5-win
from "Joanne" contains these words:

My mixed border is lacking pizzaz at the moment. I'm anticipating lots of
colour from late summer into autumn (sedum, rudbeckia, aster, anenome,
echinacea, verbena bonariensis), but it's become glaringly obvious that I've
not planted anything for this time of year.

So, what colourful perennials are in full bloom in your gardens right now
(particularly in North West England)?

In west Scotland;

gaillardia "Burgundy"
iris ensata
argyranthemum "Jamaica primrose"
sisyrynchium grandiflorum
various hebes
various herbaceous geraniums
various hemerocallis
various fuchsias
various sages
osteospermum Natalie
libertia
papaver "Royal wedding", about to start a second flowering
astrantia
anthemis
inula hookeri
primula florindae
tradescantia Red Grape
catananche caerulea (about to open)

Janet

Old 30-06-2004, 05:23 PM
sarah

Joanne wrote:

My mixed border is lacking pizzaz at the moment. I'm anticipating lots of
colour from late summer into autumn (sedum, rudbeckia, aster, anenome,
echinacea, verbena bonariensis), but it's become glaringly obvious that I've
not planted anything for this time of year.

So, what colourful perennials are in full bloom in your gardens right now
(particularly in North West England)?

Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea)
Eryngium giganteum
Achillea 'Moon[something]' (pale yellow)
Meadow geranium
Campanula poschkary-whatnot
Campanula persicifolia
Campanula takesimana (I think that's the name)
Campanula alliarifolia
Nepeta 'Six Hills Giant'
A large pale yellow single ox-eye-type daisy, the name of which I've
forgotten
Rose 'Mme Hardy' (old moss, white with green eye, strongly scented)
Three David Austin roses in shades of yellow and apricot
Rose 'Gloire de Dijon'
Rose 'Maiden's Blush'
Clematis durandii (really good value, this one. Masses of dark blue
flowers over several weeks)
Clematis integrifolia
Viola cornuta
Astrantia (white/green)
Lavender 'Hidcote'
Lots of silver/pale green leaved things, including wormwood and Buddleia
fallowiana alba, and a scattering of Verbena bonariensis (compulsory,
innit?)

I'm further south and drier than you, but perhaps some of these would
survive with you. I'm surprised at the length of the list!

regards
sarah

--
NB. Note change of *usenet* email address:
'amitiel.demon.do.uk' will soon cease to function.