Old 04-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Harry Ziman

Default Mulch or not?

We have a very large quantity of wood chippings - 3 yards or more. I would
like to use them to mulch our newly planted garden but we are being advised
not as it will prevent the water from getting through to the young plants.

Some of the garden was planted last autumn and was mulched then with 2
inches or manure. The rest has just been planted and has not been mulched.
My thoughts are to mulch the older parts in the autumn as there is plenty of
manure left on/in the ground. For the newer bits to get some more manure to
act as mulch/feed/soil conditioner.

Advice would be welcome.

Old 05-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Brian

"Harry Ziman" hziman at clara dot co dot uk wrote in message
We have a very large quantity of wood chippings - 3 yards or more. I would
like to use them to mulch our newly planted garden but we are being

advised
not as it will prevent the water from getting through to the young plants.

Some of the garden was planted last autumn and was mulched then with 2
inches or manure. The rest has just been planted and has not been mulched.
My thoughts are to mulch the older parts in the autumn as there is plenty

of
manure left on/in the ground. For the newer bits to get some more manure

act as mulch/feed/soil conditioner.

Advice would be welcome.

______________
The wood chippings will give no problems. The water will
still penetrate with ease. As the ground has been well manured then there
will be no need to add nitrogen. The process of rotting does temporarily
consume nitrogen but this will be released fairly promptly.
If you like the appearance of wood chippings then do so. I
still have personal reservations.
Best Wishes Brian 'flayb' to respond

Old 05-07-2004, 08:03 AM
nambucca

"Brian" wrote in message

[...]

When the birds kick the wood chippings all over your lawn or paths then

you might think differently about spreading the chippings