Old 05-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Pete

Default Help needed to identify tree...

Hi all,

I've recently moved into my first ever property that has a garden.

I'm no gardener but am enjoying getting to grips with what was a
jungle when I first arrived.

As part of getting to know my garden I have been trying to find out
the name of the tree growing there but with no luck.

Can anyone take a look at my photos and help me identify it.

http://www.infoweaver.net/garden/tree

Also the tree is suffering from some kind of ailment for which I also
need help identifying and treating.

I'd appreciate any (organic if possible) suggestions of reducing black
fly? \ afid and ant damage.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Pete

Spamblocking.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Broadback

Pete wrote:
Hi all,

I've recently moved into my first ever property that has a garden.

I'm no gardener but am enjoying getting to grips with what was a
jungle when I first arrived.

As part of getting to know my garden I have been trying to find out
the name of the tree growing there but with no luck.

Can anyone take a look at my photos and help me identify it.

http://www.infoweaver.net/garden/tree

Also the tree is suffering from some kind of ailment for which I also
need help identifying and treating.

I'd appreciate any (organic if possible) suggestions of reducing black
fly? \ afid and ant damage.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Pete

Spamblocking.

How about another photo of a close up of leaf?
Old 05-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Emrys Davies

'Pete',

Any blossom on the tree?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Kay

In article , Pete
writes

Hi all,

I've recently moved into my first ever property that has a garden.

I'm no gardener but am enjoying getting to grips with what was a
jungle when I first arrived.

As part of getting to know my garden I have been trying to find out
the name of the tree growing there but with no luck.

Can anyone take a look at my photos and help me identify it.

http://www.infoweaver.net/garden/tree

Can you give us a close up of the leaves? And another of the twigs? And
if possible describe any flowers it may have (these may be very small or
insignificant). there are lots of trees with overall the same growth
habit and leaf colour, which is basically all you see from a distance
shot.

Also the tree is suffering from some kind of ailment for which I also
need help identifying and treating.

Again, close up and/or description would help with diagnosis.

--
Kay

Old 05-07-2004, 03:02 PM
David Hill

I think it could be a cherry.
Having the list of pictures available in blue on blue is not a good idea, as
other posts show it is easy to miss them.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-07-2004, 04:07 PM
mich

"David Hill" wrote in message
I think it could be a cherry.
Having the list of pictures available in blue on blue is not a good idea,

as
other posts show it is easy to miss them.

I thought it was a cherry too ( I had one similar in my garden). The
affliction looks as if it might be cherry rust.

Old 05-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Kay

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
I think it could be a cherry.
Having the list of pictures available in blue on blue is not a good idea, as
other posts show it is easy to miss them.

Doesn't look quite cherry to me, but it probably is. What worries me is
that the leaves look too matte and greyish, and the horizontal lines on
the bark don't look quite right - too thick and short. The apparent
suckers suggest a graft. I wonder whether it might be some other Prunus,
apricot, may be - haven't seen one close to in ages, so probably not.
Just didn't feel quite right for a cherry.
--
Kay

Old 05-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Bob Hobden

"Pete" (not from Basildon I hope! ) wrote in message

I've recently moved into my first ever property that has a garden.

I'm no gardener but am enjoying getting to grips with what was a
jungle when I first arrived.

As part of getting to know my garden I have been trying to find out
the name of the tree growing there but with no luck.

Can anyone take a look at my photos and help me identify it.

http://www.infoweaver.net/garden/tree

Also the tree is suffering from some kind of ailment for which I also
need help identifying and treating.

I'd appreciate any (organic if possible) suggestions of reducing black
fly? \ afid and ant damage.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Looking at the Photos and especially the closeup of the infected bits do I
see a blured image of a damaged fruit that looks remarkably like a cherry?

I think it's a Cherry and possibly a Morello Cherry (Prunus cerasus
austera).

--
Regards
Bob

Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
tuin man

"David Hill" wrote in message
I think it could be a cherry.
Having the list of pictures available in blue on blue is not a good idea,

as
other posts show it is easy to miss them.

But very good photos they are and yes, Cherry, most probably grafted as kay
said, though odd looking suckers. But it might be how the light catches them
in the picture. Probably not prunus sargentii because it seems this is
the only cherry bulfinches ignore and you mention birds liking it (along
with that, P sargentii has a more chestnut brown bark than yours and yours
is not quite what I'd call a round headed tree.)
However, apart from the rust as mentioned already, the first picture
suggests a touch of silver leaf as well, though that might well be another
photographic illusion.

Patrick

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Pete

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:08:51 GMT, Pete wrote:

Cheers folks,

I'll take a couple more pictures in the next few days and post again.

The blossom was short lived. Whitish and scattered that fell in single
confetti like breeze.

I'll also take a picture of the fruit though there is little of it and
it does look damaged (dried out). I tend to run may hand through the
leaves and knock off any loose fruit and twigs that are on their way
out.

The birds don't actually stay in the tree long but because it has a
fairly airy and open branch and leaf system its a good place for them
to hop around and escape the local magpie.

Thanks for responding. I'll post again when new photos are up.

Pete
spamblocking.

Old 06-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Just Molly

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Pete
writes
On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:08:51 GMT, Pete wrote:

Cheers folks,

I'll take a couple more pictures in the next few days and post again.

The blossom was short lived. Whitish and scattered that fell in single
confetti like breeze.

Cherry!

nasty old bird cherry at that I bet.

Old 08-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Pete

Can anyone take a look at my photos and help me identify it.

Thanks to all the people that helped me identify this cherry tree.
I've updated the page with a couple of photos showing leaves &
berries.

Anyway. Next task is to sort out the infection and the ant's aphid
farm...