GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bannana skins in water butt. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/78373-bannana-skins-water-butt.html)

p.mc 05-07-2004 05:04 PM

Bannana skins in water butt.

Hi all

A couple of weeks ago I put approx 8 bannana skins in my water butt and was
watering my toms and container plants with it, and now it pongs a bit so I
retrieved the skins from the butt and skimmed the skin off the surface.
Am I doing the right thing?........ "I'm a newbie as you can guess".
--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

Nick Maclaren 05-07-2004 06:03 PM

Bannana skins in water butt.

In article ,
"p.mc" sigadd1to writes:

| A couple of weeks ago I put approx 8 bannana skins in my water butt and was
| watering my toms and container plants with it, and now it pongs a bit so I
| retrieved the skins from the butt and skimmed the skin off the surface.
| Am I doing the right thing?........ "I'm a newbie as you can guess".

You are certainly not doing anything wrong. I wouldn't put such
things in my water butt, because of the smell - but plants have
no sense of smell and don't mind that :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Tonka 05-07-2004 11:03 PM

Bannana skins in water butt.

"p.mc" sigadd1to wrote in message

Hi all

A couple of weeks ago I put approx 8 bannana skins in my water butt and

was
watering my toms and container plants with it, and now it pongs a bit so I
retrieved the skins from the butt and skimmed the skin off the surface.
Am I doing the right thing?........ "I'm a newbie as you can guess".
--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

why put just the skins why not the complete banana into your butt

tonka

Sacha 06-07-2004 01:03 AM

Bannana skins in water butt.

On 5/7/04 5:01 pm, in article , "p.mc"
sigadd1to wrote:

Hi all

A couple of weeks ago I put approx 8 bannana skins in my water butt and was
watering my toms and container plants with it, and now it pongs a bit so I
retrieved the skins from the butt and skimmed the skin off the surface.
Am I doing the right thing?........ "I'm a newbie as you can guess".

Put banana skins round the roses - it's the potassium that's the good stuff,
I understand. I don't think your water butt is going to harm anything but
you could go for the more direct approach.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Franz Heymann 06-07-2004 07:02 AM

Bannana skins in water butt.

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 5/7/04 5:01 pm, in article ,

"p.mc"
sigadd1to wrote:

Hi all

A couple of weeks ago I put approx 8 bannana skins in my water

butt and was
watering my toms and container plants with it, and now it pongs a

bit so I
retrieved the skins from the butt and skimmed the skin off the

surface.
Am I doing the right thing?........ "I'm a newbie as you can

guess".

Put banana skins round the roses - it's the potassium that's the

good stuff,
I understand. I don't think your water butt is going to harm

anything but
you could go for the more direct approach.

Surely a potassium-rich fertiliser like "Toprose" is more efficacious
and less unsightly than banana skins around the roses?

Franz

bigboard 06-07-2004 01:02 PM

Bannana skins in water butt.

Franz Heymann wrote:

Surely a potassium-rich fertiliser like "Toprose" is more efficacious
and less unsightly than banana skins around the roses?

Franz

And when Toprose comes wrapped round my fruit, I'll start using it!
Banana skins rot so quickly, I hardly think there is an aesthetic
problem with them.

Sacha 06-07-2004 02:06 PM

Bannana skins in water butt.

On 6/7/04 12:12 pm, in article , "bigboard"
wrote:

Franz Heymann wrote:

Surely a potassium-rich fertiliser like "Toprose" is more efficacious
and less unsightly than banana skins around the roses?

Franz

And when Toprose comes wrapped round my fruit, I'll start using it!
Banana skins rot so quickly, I hardly think there is an aesthetic
problem with them.

If aesthetics are a problem, why not sprinkle some soil to cover the banana
skins - the other good thing of course, is that they're free - or at least a
free by-product!

Franz Heymann 06-07-2004 04:04 PM

Bannana skins in water butt.

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 6/7/04 12:12 pm, in article ,

"bigboard"
wrote:

Franz Heymann wrote:

Surely a potassium-rich fertiliser like "Toprose" is more

efficacious
and less unsightly than banana skins around the roses?

Franz

And when Toprose comes wrapped round my fruit, I'll start using

it!
Banana skins rot so quickly, I hardly think there is an aesthetic
problem with them.

If aesthetics are a problem, why not sprinkle some soil to cover the

banana
skins - the other good thing of course, is that they're free - or at

least a
free by-product!

But how much will it cost me in bananas to keep a dozen roses fed with
banana skins?
And since there are only two persons in this household to do the
consuming, we are likely to get attacks of the squitters.

Franz

AlisonAPg 06-07-2004 05:07 PM

Bannana skins in water butt.

Subject: Bannana skins in water butt.
From: "Franz Heymann"
Date: 06/07/2004 15:48 GMT Standard Time

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 6/7/04 12:12 pm, in article
,
"bigboard"
wrote:

Franz Heymann wrote:

[...]

A banana a day
keeps roses okay

Franz Heymann 06-07-2004 11:02 PM

Bannana skins in water butt.

From: "Franz Heymann"
Date: 06/07/2004 15:48 GMT Standard Time

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 6/7/04 12:12 pm, in article
,
"bigboard"
wrote:

Franz Heymann wrote:

[...]

{:-))

Franz

Just Molly 07-07-2004 01:03 PM

Bannana skins in water butt.

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
A banana a day
keeps roses okay

A banana a day
makes you constipated, ok?

Franz Heymann 08-07-2004 08:02 AM

Bannana skins in water butt.

"Just Molly" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
A banana a day
keeps roses okay

Wrong attribution. It was Alison's bon mot.

A banana a day
makes you constipated, ok?

Franz