GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/78378-compost.html)

Soup 05-07-2004 06:03 PM

Compost

I first saw this question on a bulletin board.
How do you stop wasps building a nest on the compost heap
apparently tried layering horse manure over the heap but the
wasps still built their nest
--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Non plaudite. Modo pecuniam jacite / \

David W.E. Roberts 06-07-2004 11:02 AM

Compost

"Soup" wrote in message

I first saw this question on a bulletin board.
How do you stop wasps building a nest on the compost heap
apparently tried layering horse manure over the heap but the
wasps still built their nest

If the compost heap is working properly it will be very hot and wet.
AFAIK these conditions do not encourage wasps to build nests.

Nice dry vegetation with plenty of air space and a roof on might encourage
them :-)

bigboard 06-07-2004 12:04 PM

Compost

Soup wrote:
I first saw this question on a bulletin board.
How do you stop wasps building a nest on the compost heap
apparently tried layering horse manure over the heap but the
wasps still built their nest

If wasps are building a nest, the heap is gar too dry. Water it thoroughly.