Old 07-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Amber Ormerod

Default different shredder ways of cutting

we had a mountfield quiet shredder that died. And it seemed to be quite good
in chrushing and cutting, but we cannot find another here and I am off to
look about again. I looked at the threads on what you guys seem to have done
ok with. And have gotton that I should try and get a quiet one and as
powerful as I can afford. The AL-KO and Bosch seem to be voted on quite
highly by you all (I was told one is a rebadge of the other and the watt
rating is just diff cos Germany rate it differently to the UK) but I was
confused at the different actions of cutting and what is the benifits of
them.

anything that is good/bad in the different actions?

thanks
amber

Old 08-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Philip

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in message ...
we had a mountfield quiet shredder that died. And it seemed to be quite good
in chrushing and cutting, but we cannot find another here and I am off to
look about again. I looked at the threads on what you guys seem to have done
ok with. And have gotton that I should try and get a quiet one and as
powerful as I can afford. The AL-KO and Bosch seem to be voted on quite
highly by you all (I was told one is a rebadge of the other and the watt
rating is just diff cos Germany rate it differently to the UK) but I was
confused at the different actions of cutting and what is the benifits of
them.

anything that is good/bad in the different actions?

Did you like the way your Mountfield worked? Did it jam, were the
pieces too big, could it deal with small stuff, how was it on green
stuff. After a jam how much trouble was it to disassemble clear and
reassemble.

Shredders seem to be a bit of a trade off, each has its own
advantages/disadvantages.

I am interested in your reasons for wanting to change shredding style.
You do not appear to have any gripes with the Mountfield (apart from
the fact that it died).
Old 08-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
[...]

It wasn't very good at finer things. They would often go through without
even being touched. That was ok on fern leaves as I could bundle them but
not on some others. Green stuff it wasn't so good on or knobly stuff (ie
wood with knobs on at the base of the branches) cos the feeder hole was
small. It was quiet though!

Shredders seem to be a bit of a trade off, each has its own
advantages/disadvantages.

I am interested in your reasons for wanting to change shredding style.
You do not appear to have any gripes with the Mountfield (apart from
the fact that it died).

I cannot get hold of one in the local shops (or even several B&Qs), the
choice seems to be the bosch or the alko. I have found a shop that also
services shredders and would have fixed the mountfield if I had taken it
back there. They have some special offers on on Friday as they have some
stock in for some shows on Sat and Sun so I am going down to see what there
is. Kinda wanted to get one from this place as they seemed nice and seemed
to know what was relable. But that doesn't mean they are gardeners and know
whats good for composting.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Victoria Clare

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in news:2l5bafF8ff79U1@uni-
berlin.de:

It wasn't very good at finer things. They would often go through without
even being touched. That was ok on fern leaves as I could bundle them but
not on some others. Green stuff it wasn't so good on or knobly stuff (ie
wood with knobs on at the base of the branches) cos the feeder hole was
small. It was quiet though!

My Bosch 2000 does a good job of chopping and squishing everything and
makes very good compost / mulch.

But I can't say it's perfect on green stuff - you have to be careful how
much you give it, or it jams up with leaves. Green hazel is a particular
problem.

It can cope with small knobbles, but again tends to jam on large knots.

I suspect I should have bought a rather more powerful model, given the
amount of hazel hedging I have here!

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 08-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Chris J Dixon

Amber Ormerod wrote:

we had a mountfield quiet shredder that died. And it seemed to be quite good
in chrushing and cutting, but we cannot find another here and I am off to
look about again. I looked at the threads on what you guys seem to have done
ok with. And have gotton that I should try and get a quiet one and as
powerful as I can afford. The AL-KO and Bosch seem to be voted on quite
highly by you all (I was told one is a rebadge of the other and the watt
rating is just diff cos Germany rate it differently to the UK) but I was
confused at the different actions of cutting and what is the benifits of
them.

I have had the Al-Ko SP5000
http://www.gardenwise.co.uk/asp/product.asp?Display=[Product]AKVT37

For a year, and been very pleased with it. It chomps through big
stuff relentlessly, and copes with smaller, softer material (so
long as you have a persuading stick to hand, to encourage it). A
great improvement on the spinning plate type I had before.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Old 09-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Amber Ormerod

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Amber Ormerod wrote:

[...]

are all of these quiet? (the alkos?)

Old 09-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

I have had the Al-Ko SP5000
http://www.gardenwise.co.uk/asp/product.asp?Display=[Product]AKVT37

For a year, and been very pleased with it. It chomps through big
stuff relentlessly, and copes with smaller, softer material (so
long as you have a persuading stick to hand, to encourage it). A
great improvement on the spinning plate type I had before.

oh, how come you only had it for a year (if I may ask?)
I notice on that web site they also have a micro shredder that you can add a
second disk to and get really fine stuff. I checked with al-ko and they said
that was was 100dB and the silent is 83dB.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Chris J Dixon

Amber Ormerod wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

I have had the Al-Ko SP5000

For a year, and been very pleased with it. It chomps through big
stuff relentlessly, and copes with smaller, softer material (so
long as you have a persuading stick to hand, to encourage it). A
great improvement on the spinning plate type I had before.

are all of these quiet? (the alkos?)

Yes, no need for ear defenders. There is obviously some noise,
but it is low level, no problem at all.

Chris

Old 09-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Chris J Dixon

Amber Ormerod wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

I have had the Al-Ko SP5000
For a year, and been very pleased with it. It chomps through big
stuff relentlessly, and copes with smaller, softer material (so
long as you have a persuading stick to hand, to encourage it). A
great improvement on the spinning plate type I had before.

oh, how come you only had it for a year (if I may ask?)

Well, I first bought a cheap spinning disk type, since that was
the outlay I allowed myself. After several year's use, I wanted
something which would deal better with both large and small
stuff, and wouldn't take so much hard work to force it through.

It was only then that I upgraded, and am very pleased I did. I
was surprised how well the old one sold on ebay, after a bit of
spit and polish, and the buyer was delighted.

Chris

Old 11-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
are all of these quiet? (the alkos?)

Yes, no need for ear defenders. There is obviously some noise,
but it is low level, no problem at all.

That sounds good. I am not sure what things mean in dB anyhow.
The al-ko micro also looks good with the extra disk you can put on for extra
fine chopping, but it seems to have a different action of cutting.