Old 12-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Cal Mac

Default Which Veg to grow in July

Im wondering which vegetables will grow well from mid july onwards to be
able to get a decent grop before the temperature starts to cool
down...Any advice will be appreciated.
Cal

Old 12-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Bob Hobden

"RichardS" wrote in reply to my reply
"Cal Mac" wrote in message ...
Im wondering which vegetables will grow well from mid july onwards to

be
able to get a decent grop before the temperature starts to cool
down...Any advice will be appreciated.

Plant some Early Peas, like Feltham First, you will get a good crop in
September, peas like cool weather.

snip
Do you think it would be worth sowing a row of early peas to achieve some
successional cropping?

I have found we can't grow peas during the height of the summer, too hot
(usually!) so we only grow early peas, Feltham First (our favourite), Early
Onward, Lincoln.
We have grown Alderman and other tall main crop peas but without too much
success in the last few years.
Finally we plant some FF about the beginning of August for a late crop. We
usually have enough peas in the freezers to keep us going until the next
season.
Although it sounds silly, you plant an Early pea late because they grow
quickly and are tougher plants than some, so can take a bit of cold.

SWMBO has an appetite for peas such as I have never seen before... I just
wish I could get her out of the habit of buying bags of imported peas in
pods out of season - I find them utterly flavourless & would much prefer
frozen ones during these months!

We prefer the solid meaty type pea like FF to those sweet nothingness
foreign or frozen ones. Some would say we leave our peas too long before
picking but that's how we like them, solid, real peas.
We freeze our own in two portion amounts within an hour of being picked.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 13-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:07:49 +0000 (UTC), Cal Mac wrote:

Im wondering which vegetables will grow well from mid july onwards to be
able to get a decent grop before the temperature starts to cool
down...Any advice will be appreciated.

A catchcrop of peas from a late July sowing is within reason.
They like cool weather.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 14-07-2004, 02:17 AM
RichardS

"Cal Mac" wrote in message ...
[...]

I'll give FF a go then, perhaps two sowings, one now and one in couple of
weeks time. Will report back any success!

I get the feeling that lack of water would severely hinder summer sown peas,
so will probably try the bean trench method, filling it with plenty of
moisture retentive matter, and make sure that once germinated they are kept
well watered.

SWMBO has an appetite for peas such as I have never seen before... I

just
wish I could get her out of the habit of buying bags of imported peas in
pods out of season - I find them utterly flavourless & would much prefer
frozen ones during these months!

We prefer the solid meaty type pea like FF to those sweet nothingness
foreign or frozen ones.

Frozen I don't mind too much, they're a passable pea-fix substitute during
the winter months. "Fresh" foreign imports I find utterly flavourless -
hopefully this year's fresh-from-the-plant harvest will enlighten her as to
just how far these imports fall short of fresh peas! If not, I'll try and
dissuade her using the food miles environmental arguments...

Some would say we leave our peas too long before
picking but that's how we like them, solid, real peas.

I'm afraid that ours don't last that long - too impatient!

We freeze our own in two portion amounts within an hour of being picked.

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 14-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Bob Hobden

"Cal Mac" wrote in message ...
Im wondering which vegetables will grow well from mid july onwards to be
able to get a decent grop before the temperature starts to cool
down...Any advice will be appreciated.

Plant some Early Peas, like Feltham First, you will get a good crop in
September, peas like cool weather.

Why must they crop before the weather cools?
There are quite a few veg that crop right through the winter but it's a bit
late to plant them now. Sprouts, winter cabbage, savoys, leeks, carrots (in
the S.), parsnips, turnips, swede, cauliflower, broccoli, ...are just the
ones we grow.

Old 14-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Max Wright

In message , Kay
writes
In article lgate.org,
Cal Mac writes
Im wondering which vegetables will grow well from mid july onwards to be
able to get a decent grop before the temperature starts to cool
down...Any advice will be appreciated.

The so-called japanese veg are for planting around now, various greens
and other things. Runner beans if you can get some plants - it's a few
weeks late for seed. If you reckon it will be a wet summer, radishes.
Swiss chard for spinach like leaves in the autumn. Then there's various
things like the winter radishes if you don't mind waiting longer for the
crop.

You don't say where you are, but here in London I'd add dwarf beans and
carrots. Also there are a surprising number of salad plants like
chicory and land cress that will crop through the winter, especially if
you can give them some protection. I sow some oriental greens,
especially green-in-snow, red mustard, southern giant and amsoi, in
August and early September. You won't get a huge crop by summer
standards but instead useful pickings over a longish period.
--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop
Old 15-07-2004, 04:04 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Cal Mac" wrote in message
news:280dca138e6139d81675167e7949b386.90780@mygate .mailgate.org...
Im wondering which vegetables will grow well from mid july onwards to be
able to get a decent grop before the temperature starts to cool
down...Any advice will be appreciated.
Cal

You don't say if you are already growing veg. or if you want to start but
are late for this season.

If you don't currently have tomatoes you could look at Homebase - last week
they had some very large tomato plants complete with green fruit for around
£5 and these should crop for the rest of the year in tubs or borders.

Local nurseries may have other veg. plants in pots or strips. They may even
be reduced by now.

HTH
Dave R