GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   These fingers aint wot the used to be (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/78803-these-fingers-aint-wot-used.html)

Broadback 12-07-2004 06:03 PM

These fingers aint wot the used to be

Are patent seed sowing devices effective? If so any recommendations
please? I now have trouble sowing thinly, almost anything smaller than
peas. :-(
TIA
--
Please reply to the Newsgroup.
All emails sent to this address are automatically deleted.

Stephen Howard 12-07-2004 08:04 PM

These fingers aint wot the used to be

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:14:00 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Are patent seed sowing devices effective? If so any recommendations
please? I now have trouble sowing thinly, almost anything smaller than
peas. :-(

There are several techniques you can use for sowing seeds if your
fingers aren't quite up to scratch ( 'scuse pun ).

Some people advocate mixing the seeds up in wallpaper paste ( non
fungicidal ) and using a makeshift icing bag to distribute the goo.
Another method is to mix the seeds with horticultural sand and
broadcast them in wide sweeps along the row.

I find a bit of stiff card folded lengthways down the middle makes for
a fine 'patent seed device', with a simple tap of the finger being all
that's needed to coax the seeds over the edge.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Rod 13-07-2004 01:03 AM

These fingers aint wot the used to be

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:43:06 +0100, Stephen Howard
wrote:

I find a bit of stiff card folded lengthways down the middle makes for
a fine 'patent seed device', with a simple tap of the finger being all
that's needed to coax the seeds over the edge.

I was about to say, I just crease the centre of the seed packet
opening which does pretty much the same job as your card. I've done it
that way since my dad taught me as a kid and it serves me well now the
old fingers are getting a bit stiffer.
Rod

Weed my email address to reply.